When I connect my laptop to TV via HDMI cable, I have sound on laptop but not through TV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishAnimal

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I connected my laptop to my TV through an HDMI cable. The sound goes through the laptop, but not through the TV. I checked in the control panel under playback, and right clicked to show disabled devices, and the TV isn't listed. Any ideas to a solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Control panel / sound! And you will see the HDMI port of your graphics card, not the TV.

Zandra_1

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
This worked for me. Thank you very much!

Chetna Jindal

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

docomeister

Estimable
May 6, 2014
Hey I know this is more than 2 years later, but I was having the same problems until a couple minutes ago, but then I realized that the problem is setting the TV's input source correctly. I had my TV (Samsung, if it matters) source set to DVI PC, and it didn't receive any sound signal. I've then set it to BLU-Ray, I did get sound, but sharpened image. And then I've simply set it to PC, my image settings are back, and now I have sound as well! My problem initially started from my onboard soundcard swapping the left/right channels and having issues with the 2.1 system that I installed after my old receiver died recently. Hey, hope you solved your problem by now, anyway!

zrazyhorse

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Downloading the most up to date drivers for my laptop's graphics card (NVIDIA) solved the problem for me. Prior to this, my laptop identified the TV as a generic monitor (linked by HDMI cable). Since the update, the TV make/model is identified by laptop and sound is coming from TV speakers. Thanks Amj

Steven_91

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
Control Panel->Device Manager->Display Adapters->
With your HDMI Cable Plugged In, Right Click and Disable the Display adapter that is not your Laptop/Computer's Display Adapter e.g, Intel(R) HD Graphics is typically the televisions display driver.(This will momentarily disable the driver in your TV).
Now, Right Click>Enable the adapter you just disabled.

This should reset your television entirely and, in turn, Display the Device in the Playback Devices manager.
If you have any further questions, please respond to this post directly.

JabberwockyBoss

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Hi please help! I had to reformat my laptop and now I'm having this problem. I remember now that I have this problem each time I connect my laptop to a TV and the past 3 times (first plugging into my TV, first plugging into my parents TV and last time I reformat my laptop) that I had this issue and I solved it after a nightmare few hours. Currently on my second hour and ready to scream!! Once figured out I'm going to write it down this time.

Same laptop, same TV, same HDMI cable. My TV is not listed in my sound settings. Done the disabled devices thing. Tried alternating the order I put the HDMI in (TV or laptop, on or off etc). Done absolutely everything listed including your suggestion just (which I thought had completely broken my laptop!!) and still no joy.

Frederick_8

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Make sure you reboot your computer AFTER you connect to the TV

Kareem_3

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

That helped and finally solved the issue after trying everything suggested in this forum.

Thanks a lot :D

mtank6261

Commendable
May 8, 2016

That's what I had to do. Have HP laptop and had sound to TV after first hooking up. Know it wasn't a TV issue because I have my X Box hooked up to the TV and sound works fine through the HDMI cable, so I figured it had to be my laptop. (Windows 10) couldn't find to TV anywhere in control panel until I went to sound, right clicked on speakers, then clicked on show disabled items. Then had to enable TV, then right click on TV icon and set to default. Works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.