Question When i turn laptop on,keyboard backlight and charging led light turn on but screen is black,fan not spinning and hard disk not on

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2019
So i have a dell inpsiron 5577. When i press the power button, it starts up and my key board backlight and charging LED light turn on as it normally does. But that's it. Nothing happens. The screen is black,the fan is not on and the hard disk doesn't come on too ( but my OS is on my solid state drive). It doesn't boot up. It started when i reached work on Friday morning, i plugged my phone to it using a usb cable and powered up the laptop, but the afor-mentioned state is what i saw. The phones brand is itel, it's a small cheap phone i bought for making calls. I suspect the phone did this because before i left for work, i plugged my tablet to my laptop and turned it on and it was fine. I've tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for 30s,60s,2 minutes but nothing. I've tried plugging it to my tv via hdmi (i've successfully done this many times) to see if it displays anything, but it says no signal. I've also tried removing the ram stick and putting it back and resetting the bios by removing and putting back the cmos battery, but again nothing. Pls help, it's a fairly new laptop,a little more than a year old.

I would suggest the following to see if there is any message or error and it is just not showing on the display...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

Now if you don't see anything, even on the external monitor, I would suggest having it looked at by either the manufacturer (if under warranty) or by a local tech.

Reactions: coastie65

coastie65

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Webworkings has made a good suggestion. I have an HP that I inherited from my Brother-in-Law for that reason. I turned it on, and everything was fine, the drive busy light was going and I knew it had posted and was loading the OS but the screen was black. Shut it down, hooked up my monitor and did it again. Still nothing. That Computer was an earlier model that have the GPU on the Motherboard and all you can do is change out the Motherboard. I got one, pulled the back off that thing and my enthusiasm of replacing the motherboard died in a hurry. I am not familiar with that model of dell. It could have the onboard GPU or a Processor with Integrated Graphics. If it is the latter, I would think it would mean a change of processor.

May 18, 2019
Webworkings has made a good suggestion. I have an HP that I inherited from my Brother-in-Law for that reason. I turned it on, and everything was fine, the drive busy light was going and I knew it had posted and was loading the OS but the screen was black. Shut it down, hooked up my monitor and did it again. Still nothing. That Computer was an earlier model that have the GPU on the Motherboard and all you can do is change out the Motherboard. I got one, pulled the back off that thing and my enthusiasm of replacing the motherboard died in a hurry. I am not familiar with that model of dell. It could have the onboard GPU or a Processor with Integrated Graphics. If it is the latter, I would think it would mean a change of processor.
thanks for answering. I think the best option now would be to give it to a repair guy to properly trouble shoot it.

May 18, 2019
I
I would suggest the following to see if there is any message or error and it is just not showing on the display...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

Now if you don't see anything, even on the external monitor, I would suggest having it looked at by either the manufacturer (if under warranty) or by a local tech.
Like i stated in the question, i've already done this and nothing showed. But thanks for answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.