When should a manufacturers warranty start?

PAULO40

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All

Wondering if someone could help answer a question concerning a laptop manufacturers warranty query I have.

I just want to know when should a manufacturers warranty start for a new laptop? Does it start when the laptop is made, or when it's first turned on by the owner? I just purchased a brand new laptop, however, according to the support software installed on the laptop, the warranty started in December of 2015. This to me suggests that its not actually a new laptop, or else I would have near enough the full 2 year warranty that comes with it.

Any info / help on this would be greatly appreciated.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If it is brand new then it should start on the day you purchase it. Most manufacturers are this way but I am sure there are exceptions.
See if your manufacturer has an online tool for checking the warranty, HP has this for example. I would confirm it there.
The other possibility is you got a refurbed or returned laptop and you need to take it up with the store you bought it from.

Greetings, Paulo:

I'm not a legal expert so I'm going by experience and forums: It seems to depend on the specific manufacturer.

HP offers warranty from the date of purchase (look at your receipt). Lenovo, on the other hand, starts the warranty the moment the device leaves the factory. Depending on the popularity of the model, this means you could be several months into the warranty period when you buy the device. My own Lenovo Y50 was 6 months into its 2-year warranty when I bought it.

Cheers,
GreyCatz

PAULO40

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for such prompt replies guys, really appreciate it.

The laptop is a HP 250 G4, and I've used HP Support Assistant to view the warranty status. It states warranty started on the 14th December 2015, and end date is 12th January 2017. It's funny you mention refurbed / returned laptop Al, as when I was unpacking it I noticed a couple of faint, what looked like grease marks, which came off when I used a screen wipe to clean them off.

Judging by what you've said, with it being a HP laptop I should have a two year warranty on it, as I only received it 5 days ago, yet it says only 59 days of warranty left. Just wondering if you know if there's any way to find out if the laptop has been in use, prior to me receiving it? Didn't know if there may be some software about that would show previous usage, or when it was first started up.

PAULO40

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Exactly what I think too. I've already had a serious moan at them, and demanding a brand new unit, or a substantial discount on this one. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

PAULO40

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for all the advice and your thoughts on this topic chaps, really appreciate it. I'm stuck as to who's reply I should pick as the solution to this thread as you have all given great responses, and it would be unfair to single out one. Decisions, Decisions!!!

PAULO40

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

There are no specific terms and conditions for the laptop in question, I already checked thoroughly. The only terms and conditions info I can find is the text below, which I copied from the site, which is all pretty general in my view. See what you think:

"Your Rights, Privacy and Data Protection

Data Protection

Use of your data

We will make searches about you at credit reference agencies. They will give us credit information and details from the Electoral Register. The agencies record details of searches whether or not we provide credit. We may use credit-scoring methods to assess your application and to verify your identity. When making credit decisions about you or your household, we and third-party organisations may use credit searches and other information given to us and the credit reference agencies about you and people you are linked with financially. This information may also be used to trace debtors, to prevent money laundering, to manage your account and for marketing.

We may also use information about you, including your shopping habits, when opening and running your credit account. We may use it to obtain payments, to prevent fraud, to trace debtors and for marketing. Unless you have previously told us otherwise, we may share your information with other carefully selected third-party organisations. We or they may contact you for marketing reasons by mail, telephone - which may include automated calling systems - electronic mail or otherwise.

It may be that you do not wish to be contacted by third-party organisations for marketing reasons or you wish to access the personal data we hold about you, or you wish to use any of your other statutory rights under the Data Protection Act 1998. If so, please contact our Data Protection Compliance Officer at Griffin House, 40 Lever Street, Manchester M60 6ES. A fee of £10 is payable for each subject access request you make. If the fee has changed, we'll tell you when you apply.

We may occasionally transfer some of the information you provide outside the European Economic Area (the EEA), for example to prevent fraud or for credit searches. In some cases, countries outside the EEA may not have such well-developed data protection laws as those in the EEA. However, we'll put in place measures and safeguards that require your personal data to be kept secure, confidential and to be processed only and strictly in line with the terms of this privacy policy and any relevant data-protection laws. By shopping with us and giving us your personal data, you consent to its transfer to third-party data processors including those in countries outside the EEA for relevant purposes. This may include providing or improving our services or helping us with our security, credit-risk, or fraud-protection activities.

We may carry out fraud and security checks with CyberSource, Experian and other organisations involved in detecting and preventing fraud. If we or they suspect or identify fraud, we or they may record this and may also pass this information to other organisations to prevent and detect fraud. We, CyberSource, Experian and these other organisations may use this information to prevent fraud in the future.

If we enter a credit agreement with you, we'll also give its details to the credit reference agencies, as well as ongoing details of your account and how you manage it. If you do not repay on time or in full, we'll tell the credit-reference agencies, who will record details of the debt. All this information will be seen by other organisations carrying out later searches.

Information that the credit-reference agencies hold about you may already be linked to records about people you are financially linked with. For the purposes of credit searching, you may be treated as financially linked with them. You will be assessed with reference to any records of your financial links with them.

We may make periodic searches of our records, credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies to manage your account with us and to take decisions about credit - including whether to make credit available or to extend existing credit. These searches will not be available to other lenders for credit-assessment purposes.

You will have the right to access your personal records held by credit and fraud agencies. We will give you their names and addresses if you ask our Data Protection Compliance Officer, Griffin House, 40 Lever Street, Manchester M60 6ES. We, the credit-reference agencies and fraud-prevention agencies may also use the records for statistical analysis about credit, insurance and fraud.

Behavioural and targeted advertising

The information that we collect and use for behavioural advertising is not personal information and it cannot be used to identify you. It will not contain your name, home address, phone number etc.

We want to make sure that we only contact you with content that you will find relevant and interesting. We do this by using online behavioural advertising (or interest based advertising). In order for it to work we collect information about your browsing activity using cookies. These cookies pass back to us your browsing information which then allows us to determine what content is most useful and relevant to be shown to you.

We use hashed email addresses to keep your data more secure. The email addresses are scrambled before being utilised to ensure nobody else can gain access to your email address. This enables us to offer our customers the best possible online user experience and equally allows us to improve the relevancy of our advertising. This allows us to provide you with more of the content you want to see. It isn't something to be scared off and is safe and transparent.

We do share information with a number of third parties such as (Google, Facebook, Criteo and Affiliate Window) to enable us to deliver targeted advertising to you. To learn more about how these companies collect and use information for online advertising:

✔ Criteo: http://www.criteo.com/en/privacy-policy
✔ Facebook:- http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy
✔ Google: http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/policies/privacy
✔ Affiliate Window: http://www.affiliatewindow.com/uk/policies
✔ Microsoft: http://choice.live.com/
If you would prefer not to receive this type of advertising, you can opt out but it is important to understand that this does not mean that you will no longer receive advertising when you are using the internet. It just means that the advertising you see displayed on websites will not be customised to you and your interests and therefore may be less relevant to you.

To opt-out of all behavioural and contextual advertising, please follow these 5 tips: http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/five-top-tips

To opt-out of a particular provider of behavioural [and contextual] advertising - Click on this link: http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices

To opt-out of advertising using hashed email addresses as explained above, please contact our customer service team. Alternatively, you can click on the icon top right corner of an ad - on Facebook, it looks like this:

Across multiple sites, it may look like this:

You can opt-out by clicking on the AdChoices link, right hand corner of the ad (Simply Be Ad here)

You can also manage your privacy within the web browser that you are using. Many web browsers also have a 'private browsing' mode as well.

Questions or complaints

If you have any questions, concerns or comments about this privacy notice or our use of your personal information please contact us;

Data Protection Officer
JD Williams and Company Limited
Griffin House
40 Lever Street
Manchester M60 6ES

Returns

Returns and cancellations

Returning items

You can return most items for any reason, with some exceptions (see "Product Exceptions"). Unless you have told us you wish to cancel your order (see "Cancelling orders"), you must return the item to us within 14 days of receiving it. Please allow enough time for postal or courier services to reach us. We may accept a returned item received outside the 14-day return period but we reserve the right to charge a £3 late-return fee to cover the cost of processing it.

Cancelling orders

You can cancel an order up to and including the 14th day after its delivery day for any reason, with some exceptions (see "Product exceptions"). You'll need to tell us clearly if you wish to cancel your order - you can use our cancellation form if you wish. Please send back the items no later than 14 days after telling us you wish to cancel. Please take care of the items. We reserve the right to reduce the refund amount if the value of the items is reduced by your actions.

If you return all the items in an order, we'll refund the cost of the returned items plus the delivery charge (excluding any additional charges for Nominated Delivery or Next Day Delivery). However, if the return is made via our courier or through a myHermes ParcelShop, we'll charge you a return fee and deduct it from your refund. The return fee won't be more than the original delivery charge. Returning the item by any other method is entirely at your cost.

Warranties

If you have bought a warranty for the items you are returning, please read the warranty documents for details of how to cancel it if you want to.

Product exceptions

Unless faulty, the following items cannot be cancelled or returned - bespoke, customised or personalised items; items sealed for health or hygiene reasons if unsealed; and sealed audio, video or software recordings if unsealed.

Faulty items

If anything you order from us fails prematurely due to defective workmanship or materials, we would be happy to offer a full or partial refund, repair or replacement as appropriate in the circumstances. Please contact us to arrange return of faulty items.

Price policy

We describe every item in our catalogue as accurately as we can. However, occasionally product description or pricing errors occur. If after you have submitted your order we discover such an error or the item ordered becomes unavailable we'll do our best to inform you at the earliest opportunity. You may then choose whether to proceed with your order or to cancel it. If we cannot contact you, we may treat your order as cancelled. Subject to this, we intend that prices remain valid for the life of this catalogue. All orders are subject to our acceptance. We accept your order and form the contract between you and us only when the goods are despatched to you. Finally, all our products are subject to availability - we cannot supply what we do not have.

Protecting your interests and our complaints procedure

We aim to get it right first time, but if we make a mistake we'll try to put it right promptly. If you have a question or complaint, please call our Enquiry Line and one of our advisors will be happy to help you; we'll do our utmost to work with you to reach a satisfactory outcome over the phone. If we can't, or we need to investigate further, we'll confirm receipt of your complaint within 5 working days and, in most cases, resolve the problem within 4 weeks.

Complex complaints can take a little longer. In this case, we'll always let you know when to expect an answer. If, together, you and we have not reached an agreement within 8 weeks, we'll give you information about the Financial Ombudsman Service.

You can contact us at any time while your complaint is being investigated, by writing to Customer Complaints Manager, Complaints and Customer Relations Department, JD Williams, Griffin House, 40 Lever Street, Manchester, M60 6ES. Don't forget to include your Customer Number so we can find your records quickly.

We subscribe to the Mailing Preference Service and the Telephone Preference Service.

For staff training and for quality control purposes, your calls may be monitored or recorded."

Thats all I could find!

PAULO40

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

The ad doesn't actually mention whether the laptop was brand new or refurbished. However, I have already had a response from the catalogue I bought the laptop from as I had queried this with them, and they agree with me that this is unacceptable. They can't confirm whether the laptop was new or refurbished, but they have agreed to send me a new one, plus they have given me a refund for delivery costs and 10% of the value of the laptop back as a goodwill gesture. Not too bad a result, but I've explained to them I'll be checking the new one out and making sure it meets my requirements.