Question Which 4K TV is best overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find much information, but the E43U-D2 appears to be a budget model for Walmart and may have issues.

Amazon's comment section is screwed and mixes up similar models so I had a hard time finding reliable information there for the M43.

Frankly, unless you sit close enough you won't benefit from 4K and there are 1080p HDTV's for the same price or cheaper that are better quality.

The estimate on how CLOSE you need to sit before you start to see the slightest benefit is about 1.5X the diagonal (i.e. 6 feet on 48" screen). It depends on whether you have 20/20 vision so you might be worse or better, as well as if you even have any MEDIA that will benefit.

one of these was 43" so you'd need to sit maybe FIVE FEET from it to see a small improvement with 4K content.

Netflix 4K content for example has been shown to be nearly identical to BluRay (House of Cards was a high-quality BD release due to recent, digital quality and they compared it to the Netflix 4K version and the 4K BluRay was slightly better though only looking very closely.)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Smart-LED-TV-48-Class-1080p-60Hz-WiFi-HDMI-USB-Ethernet-ENERGY-STAR-UN48J5200/45828401

I did no research only used the user average score, however it's just an example of what is likely a noticeably better picture quality than cheaper 4K HDTV's.

You really should do a lot of research on this, though unfortunately even seeing them in a store is usually pointless due to the saturated calibration and overhead lighting.

Other things you may want to investigate:

1) latency if gaming
2) number of HDMI inputs
3) speaker quality (and if you can buy a nice Soundbar if you care)

4) 120Hz or better motion smoothing (usually should use only for sports)
5) 3D support if you care (then active or passive? I currently recommend passive)
6) screen size obviously

7) Smart TV interface (for Netflix etc)
8) Warranty (3-year is preferable)

*I tend to recommend 2.2X the diagonal for viewing distance as a good average, and usually no closer than 2X (2.2X works out to about NINE FEET away from screen to your EYES). Further away and things are smaller, however CLOSER shows issues with lower quality programming.

Here lies the main issue with 4K HDTV's. Even if you can sit CLOSE enough that 4K, quality content is better, the poorer quality media looks a lot worse.

On my COMPUTER (which is 1:1 ratio away on a 2560x1440 monitor) I have some lower quality video comparable to SD and lower-quality HD content on cable/satellite. I actually make the video SMALLER sometimes to hide the artifacts.

Going from FHD blu ray to UHD blu ray isn't that noticeable. The difference is the color space, that made it clear which the better resolution was, I did a few blind tests.

But I don't like 4k being pushed so hard, because basically only blu ray and games support it. Blu ray supports it better than games, because games are still lacking in color reproduction, as well as highlights and shadows.

If you're not going to watch UHD blu rays, then buy a FHD TV, that would be my recommendation. You want to be as close as possible to the source content, so that it looks better than looking at it on a UHD TV.

I highly recommend a TV (that doesn't do HDR or 3D), called X810C, which can do UHD 60 Hz and FHD 120 Hz out of the box.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Should I go for a 4k TV with HDR? Is HDR worth it? Which 4K tv is best overall for gaming sports watching movies? E43u-D2 , M43-C1 or this Sharp LC43N7000U at pc richards?

G

Vizio E43u-D2 because it has better motion refresh rate, so it could possibly upconvert the framerate of anything that's a factor of 240, whether it be 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 40, 48, 60, 80, 120, 240. You get the idea. So it's going to be better than the counterpart which can only go up to 120.

G

To be honest, no 4K TV is worth it for anything...
1. Plasma technology is always overlooked and since the fall of demand, it ceased production in 2014. Now if you're lucky enough, you can get a >50" full HD plasma TV from the web at a decent price. It would have the best in class color (almost as equal as OLED), best in class black levels, best in class 3D, 600Hz refresh rate, better built in speakers, easier on the eyes, and no gimmicks (like backlight flashing, blank screen flashing, etc...).
2. A 4:4:4 1080p content on a plasma TV is better than a 4:2:2 4K content on a 4K tv. Same for a 4:2:0 1440p content on a 1080p plasma TV versus 4:2:0 4K content on a 4K tv.
3. Wait for OLED to hit the market and it will be soon...so you'll have more and better choices.
4. If it's needed now, you should look into the black levels for each TV. HDR is a joke because Plasma and OLED doesn't require HDR at all and HDR looks comical...TBH.
5. Your sharp TV LC43N7000U has really bad contrast ratios and refresh rates. You shouldn't buy it at all.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

I'm upgrading my crappy brand 2011 Philips 40PFL4706 1080p 40 inch tv with god awful motion processing ghosting and artifacts. Severe Led back light bleeding. Smart tv interface is crap, you can't adjust picture settings in netflix WTF?! The uniformity is terrible as well. Basically this philips tv has the worst LCD panel I've ever seen in my life! Ok so I come to conclusion, based on reviews E43U D2 is not great tv so now I'm deciding between 2 tvs, Sharp LC43N7000U or M43 C1?

robert600

Distinguished
Interesting discussion re 4k vrs 1080 tvs. I don't know much about 4k since I don't own one. One thing I have heard though (not sure it is true) is that any 4K tv will play video files encoded in HEVC (x265). Apparently you can just put the file on a usb stick (or portable hard drive), plug it into the tv's usb port and the tv will play it. For someone like me who has a lot of movies in this format - this would be a very nice feature (if it is true lol). If anyone knows the truth of this - I would appeciate a response - thanks.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Ok I ended up buying Sony XBR43X800D. A Way better tv. As a matter fact 20 times better tv than crappy philips 40pfl4706 tv I had for almost 5 years. Finally got rid of it threw in trash, well someone took it for free. It's not worth anything a garbage tv. I'm very satisfied with Sony XBR43X800D. From my experience best quality tv brands are Sony, Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Panasonic. Worst tv brands. avoid them at all costs, Philips, Sceptre, Hisense, Insignia, Coby, and Dynex. Let me know if I did not mention other worse tv brands.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I bought the Sony XBR43X800D from best buy online open box excellent condition for $577 plus tax I live in New Jersey total spent $618. Letting you guys know I highly recommend buying tv's from best buy online open box you will save a lot of money like I did. I'm very satisfied

Status
Not open for further replies.