Which G75VW to buy?

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
This is something I'm currently researching and wanted to hit up the opinion of price points vs. features to see if you guys think it should be worth it...

So far been following this resource:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14680-The-full-G55VW-G75VW-model-list!

Trying to figure out all the different prices for the different versions of this laptop model... The one thing that seems like a major point is the 660m vs the 670m. Another key point is the display type... At BestBuy I can pick up one with a 660m but it gives absolutely no details on the display type... Whereas other retailers offer a 120hz nvidia 3D display.

HDD drive sizes and different disk drive types all over the place, not all the same Ivy chip as well it seems?

I guess the main concern for me is the 660m vs the 670m and the quality of the display. Of course I am obviously aiming to use this for gaming and don't plan to be very mobile with it.

Any suggestions and opinions on which direction I should go would be very welcomed. I like the cheaper price point of the BestBuy model but I wonder if the 'who knows' display and 660m would wind up biting me in the ass that I regret not going for one with a 670m (I assume there really isn't a way to upgrade?).

Thanks guys.

c0mrade

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

why would you assume he doesn't already have a desktop and plus alot of people like laptops, i plan to buy a g55vw..

@kooper since you are using it for gaming you may want to look at the sager np9150. you can get much more bang for your buck the only con is you don't get a super sleek design like the asus. other than that sager is really good for laptops and you can get better cpu for cheap like the 3720qm for an extra $15 i think and you can even upgrade to a 675m for the same price as the asus with a 3610qm and a 660/670m. plus you can get the good display for relatively cheap too. it's also a couple pounds lighter than the asus.
you may want to check out my thread. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/78661-35-best-gaming-laptop-asus-sager

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

I don't have room for another tower/monitor setup (literally do not have desk space, I have a pretty small room). I would be using this laptop mostly in bed and moving to the office and home and back on our patio. So there is some mobility to it, just only within the home for the most part.

@c0mrade Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at this as well.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
so lets just say that the 660m can play everything on high and majority on ultra settings

and the 670m can play everything on ultra (except for the odd majorly intensive game) which you could just play at slightly lower resolution for that very rare game that wont run on ultra and 1920x1080 on everything else

c0mrade

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
^^ don't forget to mention that the 670m is based off the old fermi architecture while the 660m uses the new kepler architecture. despite the slightly better performance you get an older architecture that requires more power and dissipates much more heat. and it costs extra money. myself and every other knowledgeable person on the internet goes with the 660m unless you want to upgrade the gpu in which case you go with a 675m for the small performance boost or you go with the 7970m for the big performance boost. hope this helped clear things up. :D

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

well he doesnt plan on being mobile with it like he said in the beginning of the thread so using slightly more power wont affect him because he shouldnt have to worry about battery life if its going to be plugged in anyways, and the asus g7*** series have absolutely astounding cooling so heat isnt very much of an issue in these laptops

as you can see in the "temperature" section of this review that even the older architecture of the 670m stays at a good temperature of an average of 30 degrees celsius (~86 degrees fahrenheit) and the hottest point on the laptop (probably were was only 36 degrees celsius (~96 degrees fahrenheit) and the actually graphics card maxed out at about 74 degrees celsius which is really good for a gpu in a laptop
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G73JH-ATI-HD-5870-Gaming-Notebook.28191.0.html

hawkster00

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Well I am also looking at the asus G75 Models , I do know I want the HD screen @1920 x 1080 and not the 3D one, the 3d screen is 1366 x 768. I also want 12gb of 1600 ddr3 ram. a hard drive of 500-750gb @ 7200 rpm would be fine, it would be nice to add a 60-120gb ssd boot drive to this also, but that could be done later unless it would be cheaper now, but if you do it after you get the computer you get to pick the brand of ssd drive there are differences in speeds. Now for the GPU after much researching I think it has to be the 670m in some games @ 1920 x 1080 it is 20% faster, also from what I have read overclocking the 660m does not give it the boost that you would expect because the shaders and core run at the same speed, memory band width is 72gb for the 670m vs 64gb for the 660m , they do not offer the 675m it would require a larger power supply and a taller cooling unit with faster fans = more noise & heat, they will probably release a 680m later in the year , I can't see them messing with the 7970m but who knows, myself I won't ever buy ATI because of driver issues in the past. What I am looking at is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408 for $1449 looks like the best deal right now, I do wish it had a Blu-ray and a small ssd boot drive. :sol:

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

This is my personal opinion, but I do know a lot of people agree with me. But Personally, I would NOT opt for a laptop with a 3D Screen. Just because it is not worth it, and if anything.. causes headaches.

Also, overclocking your laptop is not a good idea.. :non: Sure it's cool, and you may get a minor speed boost, but in the long run. You're doing a lot more harm than good.

tholap

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I just bought (a week ago) the Asus G75 with 660M - and I'm very satisfied.

3D is BS IMHO. So is extra RAM and the roughly 20% extra power of the 670M (which uses a lot more power and therefore needs more cooling). And the 660M version is much cheaper.
A 20% difference is for bragging and only ooks useful on paper. In practice you won't notice the difference most of the time.
There's only so much FPS (30-60) your eyes can actually notice a difference. Extra FPS beyond that are useless. At best an insurance against future gaming needs.

The G75 with 660M is *very* quiet. Surprisingly so. And I feel 0 heat coming from it.

To all those who claim that a gaming laptop is an oxymoron - no it's not. It's a compromise.
Is it the cheapest and most efficient way to get a gaming PC? Obviously not. But depending on personal circumstances and preferences it can still make sense.
And I couldn't care less whether my games have 70 or 200 FPS - human eyes can't see a difference - so I don't worry about it.

The screen is of high quality - and at last I have a non-glossy screen again. It's so nice not to have reflections all the time.
Sound is good too.

I would have liked some dedicated media keys - but that's not a big deal.

I'll shop for a nice SSD later and put that into the 2nd (for now empty) HDD bay of this model.

The power brick is BIG and HEAVY though. ;-)