Which Integrated GPU games better?

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
If you are FORCED to try and game with a CPU low-end integrated graphics option, is the AMD Radeon R series or the Intel HD series better suited?

Some basic understandings:

1) Yes. Everyday low budget laptops ($3-400) are NOT intended to game with

2) Yes. If you get said game to load, you need to set all graphics options to lowest quality.

3.) Yes. Get as many cores and RAM as possible and game connected direct to modem via LAN cable and not wireless.

All of the above is understood. So, someone gets a new laptop with either a quad core AMD A series or Dual core Intel i3 series (So..$400 laptop) with 4 to 6 GB RAM. Knowing that Rift, ArcheAge and other MMOs plus other often played favorites will need to be set to lowest quality, does Intel HD 4400 chips or AMD Radeon HD R3/R4 perform better?

huilun02

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
You're basically looking for the best performing laptop that uses an IGPU, for under $400.

We have some problems:
Not every laptop model is available everywhere, and similar models may be found at different prices.
One model with a particularly good IGPU may be hampered by other components like low quantity of memory.
The best deals or even your ideal laptop may not be found or sold online.
Not every laptop has a USD price tag.

You're better off looking for laptop deals in your area, and if you want to, tell us about the better looking ones so we can pick for you. Otherwise people here might be suggesting models that are either unavailable to you, or will ultimately cost over $400 for you.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Good Points, all of them. Ok. So I have it narrowed down to 2.

1) Toshiba's Satellite series with AMDs A8 quad core APU using Radeon HD R5 IGPU

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-17-3-laptop-amd-a8-series-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-jet-black/8790183.p?id=1219370472648&skuId=8790183&st=pcmcat138500050001_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=11

2) HP with Intel Pentium N3530 quad-core CPU using Intel HD IGPU (no mention of series can be found ie 4000, 4400, etc)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black-licorice-black-licorice/1311174114.p?id=mp1311174114&skuId=1311174114&st=pcmcat138500050001_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=10&lp=12#tab=buyingOptions

The links are not indicating I am purchasing from Best Buy. They are just pure example purposes at the models (or close to) I was looking at. Granted the clock speed and other performance functions of GPU is crappy. But they are IGPUs, it is what it is. I plan on having the kid (my son) crank down the graphics to all low settings for all his MMOs, etc. Hes big into League of Legends, ArcheAge and Rift right now. Why am I being a cheapskate? Because this kid has been through 3 smartphones in 2 years (the last one just went through the washing machine because he didnt empty pockets). He has so many "accidents" it isnt funny. Of course I'll pony up extra money for protection plans where ever we go. But there is no way in all 9 circles of hades I am getting this kid a laptop with 6+GB of RAM with dedicated GPU and ok gaming laptop for $600+. Not until he makes it from this Christmas to at least next or later on this one unscathed.

I am hoping that some tweaking on my end with loading out his RAM to the max (most likely 8 GB) and the quad core CPUs to share the processing load, that on low settings he can get by on his gaming needs. I appreciate everyones responses so far

The real answer is that it depends on the graphic core models you are comparing. For example, the only AMD graphic cores from the Richland series APUs that performs better than the Intel HD 4600 are the Radeon HD 8610m and Radeon HD 8650m

Both laptops are using low end AMD and Intel processor. Meaning those processors are not based on the Kaveri (AMD) or Haswell (Intel) processors. They are basically the processors used in tablets known as Beema (AMD) and Bay Trail (Intel). These are the beefier versions which provides better performance, but also uses a lot more power.

In terms of processing power the A8-6410 and the Pentium N3530 should be fairly close to each other; roughly close to a 2nd generation core i3 CPU. The graphics core for the A8-6410 is more powerful than the Bay Trail generation Intel HD graphics core (not the Intel HD 4400 or anything close to it) in the Pentium N3530.

Solution

huilun02

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Long story short the Toshiba laptop has the better IGPU.

In fact its also superior in almost every other respect. It has more RAM, a larger screen, higher resolution, higher capacity drive.

It is larger and heavier by 1 pound.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I had more or less come to the same conclusion. I just wanted to get some second opinions from other knowledgeable (more so then me) sources. We will be picking up the Toshiba for him. And if he takes care of it, and does well..then maybe he can have a better one later.