Which is the best Media Player for me?

budmonster

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I'm trying to find the best way to stream videos from my PC to TV, a cheap and easy solution if possible. I'm willing to pay a little extra to get what I need but nothing crazy. In need of something that can handle most, preferably all formats and codecs. I usually play 8-50GB videos, BD, ISO, etc. I really don't care about Hulu, Netflix or these subscription based services, just need an efficient way to stream movies from PC to TV. I don't care about the UI design, fast would be nice though if possible but no biggy.

I've only tried two methods so far, well three. I had a PS3 for the longest time so I tried using that for streaming by downloading PS3 Media Server. Every video lagged so I gave that up. I bought an Apple TV but it cant handle many formats, MKV was a no-no, returned that. I just bought a WD TV Live media player box. I'm confused on how to set it up, trying to figure it out now. But I was told that this box can handle pretty much everything thrown at it and for the $89 price tag it isn't bad.I'm just wondering if there is anything else out there I could possible try? Recommendations and idea would be appreciated!

budmonster

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

I do have a laptop and I've hooked it up to my TV with my HDMI, but I want wireless. Trying to find the best method for streaming.

so you want to use your pc as a storage device and have a device which attaches to your tv which can load and play the videos.

not a problem however as you discovered they often have very limited options when it comes to file type.

i've heard that the diamond mp1000 and western digital tv live and above versions support iso but that they may not support blueray menus. the only device which supports any filetype perfectly without issue is pc which is why i suggested wireless hdmi.

----

you want wireless what?

wireless connection to the tv? (kind of silly if its right under the device but wireless hdmi does this.. but thats extra stuff to buy)
wireless network connection? (look for a device which supports wifi)
wireless hdmi streaming of content playing on pc to tv? (this is why i mentioned wireless hdmi)

budmonster

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

sorry i didnt see that. what is wireless hdmi, never heard of it? how can i use it to stream videos from my pc to tv?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/

it would work just like hooking up your computer to the television via a hdmi cable except instead of having a cable you just connect a transmitter to the feed from the pc and a receiver to the input of the tv. it then sends a signal from the transmitter to the receiver.

while it certainly makes it much easier to display on a tv in another room it is not without some negatives.

range is often a bit limited (most users say about 25-30ft going through walls or ceilings, perhaps more if line of sight) and quality does degrade the farther you go.

you would then only need some way of extending the range of your peripherals so that they can control the pc.

not a perfect solution by far but it works.

---------

personally i'd suggest just using cat5e/cat6 cable with one of these wall plates on each side

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8200

since you will not have the quality dropoff that wireless has.

or just use a hdmi cable through the wall if its not too far of a distance.

then running a wire and putting a receiver in the room for using a wireless mouse and keyboard.

----------

if you want to use the computer as a "media server" only (only a storage device) and you want another easy to use device (like a roku, appletv, etc) hooked up to your tv where you can connect and play the videos then i'm sorry to say but you may end up having to concede on a few points to make it work as file types are not all supported.

this might involve translating into a different file type.

---------

yet another option would be to build yourself a htpc for use under the tv. you can have this set up to connect up to your at home wireless network to access the files on your other computer and since the htpc is providing the signal for your tv there will be zero quality loss. since its a pc it also can play any file type.

you can likely put something good together for $300-400 (or less if you are content with using older hardware as you really dont need "new" hardware to do this)