Which Laptop for a Canadian ~$1000

G

Hey guys,

My laptop finally died and so it's time to bite the bullet. I need to buy a new laptop. I can spend a bit more than $1000 if need be, but roughly that's my budget, and remember that I am in Canada. I have been favouring ASUS lately due to their nice warranty and decent build quality, but am open to suggestions. I am tempted to go for a decent video card because of my usage but can potentially save a lot of cash if I don't. *shrugs*

I am thinking of ordering from newegg.ca either this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639 or this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220634 . Anyone got experience ordering from these guys?

1_What is your budget?

~$1000ish

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Don't need super portability. More concerned with functionality but don't want a 7lb monster if it can be helped.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Something decent is good because I do some graphic work in Photoshop and AfterEffects.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Mostly desktop replacement. I need to be able to take my desktop with me basically.

5_How much battery life do you need?

I like having a solid 2 - 3 hours, but with the sort of system I want I know that's unlikely.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I don't play many games really but maybe counter-strike source or something if I am bored some time.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Adobe Photoshop/AfterEffects for sure. Camtasio Studio desktop recordings and audio recordings. Some video editings etc. Office stuff, surf the web, the usual.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

I am more concerned with HD speed I think. Even 320GB should be plenty as if I need more I will use an external HD.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

Already posted links to newegg.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A couple of years at least. I figure 2 - 3 years between laptop purchases is reasonable.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Bluray doesn't seem very important to me right now. DVD ROM/Writer seems about right. I just don't use bluray right now.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't want to pay extra for warranty as I will be working out of the country most likely, and thus paying extra is goofy. I know ASUS has a good warranty and it is global. Probably my best bet.

13_What country do you live in?

Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I won't be doing much gaming really, but I will be using the machine for some video creation/editing and web/graphic design so it needs to have some power. I hope to hold on to this thing for at least a couple of years and so I don't want to have too bad a bottleneck at the outset. Any advice is appreciated.

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I can't comment on what's available from Canada, but I wouldn't doubt NewEgg.Ca's service, given the performance of the mother site (newegg.com).