Solved! Which laptop is best for me -- point of diminishing return

socialstealth

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
1_What is your budget?
<$1000, I'd prefer to spend less but I really don't want to sacrifice speed.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Anything from 14'' to 17''

3_What screen resolution do you want?
On my desktop I have 1600x1030 or something around there, so I'd like something as close to that as I can get.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'd like to be able to carry it around from class to class, but I don't mind a few extra pounds if it'll make my browsing speeds faster.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Anything reasonable is fine. 2 hours +

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd like to be able to play warcraft 3 (NOT TO BE MISTAKEN WITH WORLD OF WARCRAFT),
starcraft 2 (when it comes out)
and counter strike: source

These games are all pretty old so an amazing graphics card isn't need, just something that'll get me by without any lag.
Medium settings are fine for me.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
My main concern is browsing the internet. I'd like to instantly have pages load, 0 wait times. I'd like to have 10 tabs open while playing poker online (pokerstars.com) and listening to music.
I don't want to pay $300 for that extra 1% of performance, but I'd be willing to spend extra if it significantly increases the laptop's performance.

In short, Internet =#1, low profile RTS games, and music/illegal movies downloaded off of bit torrent. Obviously quality for movies doesn't matter much since I'm mostly watching bootlegs.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
50 gb is more than enough for all my personal needs, but I'm not sure if dual drives, extra space, or SSD drives is going to boost performance.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
My dad works at home depot and gets a 10% discount on HP computers from hp.com, for a $500 computer thats only $50 though. He also gets a discount for Dell computers, but I hear they use poor quality components. Open to suggestions though, I've heard a lot of good things about asus.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A few years, not too worried about 'future upgrades for comparability' etc etc. just concerned with whats good now. I don't want a piece of junk thats ONLY going to last me a few years though ;) I'd like it to run forever.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I have 0 interest in bluray. something that can burn dvds/cds would be nice, not a must though.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Anything reliable. Just let me know what you suggest. I'm mainly looking to learn what components to look for.

13_What country do you live in?
United states (new jersey)

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want to be able to browse forums, youtube, etc on the internet at LIGHTNING speeds. I have verizon fios internet.
I'd like to be able to run multiple programs at once. NO video editing or anything like that. But I don't want the computer to slow down if a high-graphics webpage comes on the screen.

I don't want any load times between programs, starting programs, or anything.

What components do you suggest I look for? (what processor, ddr2 or is ddr3 the way to go? 5600rpm or 7200 rpm pwns? etc etc) any particular laptops/brands?

I want to know where the point of diminishing return is.
Like can I get a laptop for $500 that is only 1% slower than a laptop that costs $1000? cus obviously I'd go with the cheaper one in that situation.