Which Laptop Is Better? Other Suggestions?

General-NOH

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Im buying a laptop in australia for under 1200$ and i have come across a Toshiba and an ASUS, i will be using it primarily for gaming and would like to know which one is better in terms of power, quality and customer support.

My Choices:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=20578

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=20474

These two laptops are very similar but the ASUS has 2 more GB of RAM and the graphics card is different but it is 300$ more.

Will i notice a difference with speed due to the 2GB difference in RAM? The most multitasking i will do is probably 1 game 1 or 2 tabs open in Teamspeak 3 and 1 - 5 tabs open in mozilla firefox, and most games only have 2 - 4GB reccomended RAM.

The two laptops main difference is the GPU, the ASUS has a GeForce GT630m 2GB and the Toshiba has a ATI Radeon HD 7670 1GB. Will i notice a difference in the graphics cards due to the VRAM? some people said that 1GB is enough for a graphics card and 2GB is overkill and will never be uses is this true?
Also which graphics card will perform better performance-wise? Most benchmarks say that the 7670 is more powerful but alot of people say that the 630 is more reliable because the 7670 has bad drivers and can fail.

Finally which laptop is better quality and has better customer service? I personally own a Toshiba and it has a pretty standard bild quality, nothing flashy but its not cheaply made but the customer service is terrible, i had a 3 year warranty when my HDD failed and they wanted to charge me 150$ to retrieve my data and when they sent it back it was not serviced or cleaned very well and they obviously hadnt checked it for anything else because i recently ound that my headphone jack is broken and all the rest of my sound card is disfunctional so i had to turn it off and use the motherboards onboard sound but i still cant use headphones and the sd card slot doesnt work very well, it works but not well. But this is my own expeiriece so others may differ.

Overall i want to know which one will play my games better and which one will be better quality, customer service and value for money since the asus is 300$ more. Also if you have any suggestions of laptops that are in australia please post the links

Thanks in advance.

General-NOH

Honorable
May 22, 2012
ok, but i think the toshiba is a very good laptop for its price, but the first filter i always put on when i search for laptops is for ASUS because they are always have great value for money laptops, until the new geforce 600s came out all the 1000 dollare asus laptops were running on 7690s but the shops always stop selling the old models even though they are great

cl-jeffrey

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
The only time the 2gb is needed is when you are gaming at the highest settings. However because your screen is not 1920 x 1080 you won't really be able to tell the difference.

Both builds are equally the same. If you had experience with Toshiba and are content with their customer support you should stick with them. However if you believe their customer support was not up to your standard you can try ASUS and see which customer service is actually better. Just to let you know that many computer company have different policy on the warranty and duration.

So the difference is about $300. It's up to you if you want to save the extra money. If you are going to buy this at a retail store take a look at their extended warranty and other service plans because it's always good to have the piece of mind that if anything happens after the warranty coverage that you will be covered and nothing comes out of your own pocket.

Good luck on your decision.

Pyree

Distinguished
Both laptop have rebadged last generation gpu. The 7670 is faster of the 2. Go for toshiba.

lol, the nvidia driver better than AMD driver thing. Ignore it. It is mostly fanboyism. Google for "problem with nvidia GPU driver" and "problem with AMD GPU driver" and you find both company have a fair share of the problem. BTW, laptop usually use specific driver released by the laptop vendor not the reference driver (unless you have a barebone laptop). Have been using AMD from HD 5000 series and their driver support is so far good.

General-NOH

Honorable
May 22, 2012
ok i think ill go with the toshy although i found a nice hp which is the same as the asus but it has beats audio and 4gb less ram, i think i might go with the toshiba and pray for good service

General-NOH

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Yeah my current laptop was easy to find drivers of the toshiba website, they had all the specific drivers including the one for my Mobility radeon 4200 (pretty good gpu for a 500$ laptop i got 2 years ago IMO)