Which Laptop to buy ?

Suchitra Kumar

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I'm in a confusion as which is the brand which durable and gives long life. Which brand among DELL , LENOVO a ACER would be the best and meet the above criteria.

Solution

That's a tough question. Most vendors have good laptops and bad ones, There really isn't a laptop superhero brand. You need to nail down exactly what you want from your PC. In other words, it comes down to the specific model to determine if its durable, reliable, long life, etc.

Is this a desktop replacement? Do you want something that is highly portable? What are the uses of the system from most important to least? How much battery life is important to you?

Here's a place to start:
www.pcworld.com
They review a lot of notebooks and have them categorized according to...

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

That's a tough question. Most vendors have good laptops and bad ones, There really isn't a laptop superhero brand. You need to nail down exactly what you want from your PC. In other words, it comes down to the specific model to determine if its durable, reliable, long life, etc.

Is this a desktop replacement? Do you want something that is highly portable? What are the uses of the system from most important to least? How much battery life is important to you?

Here's a place to start:
www.pcworld.com
They review a lot of notebooks and have them categorized according to budget, use, etc.

Regarding the brands you mentioned, Dell provides good customer support, and offers good warranties, however you will pay for them especially if interested in a 3 year warranty ($200+). The best thing about Dell is that their laptops are highly configurable, I don't think anyone offers the options that they do.
Acer makes quality netbooks, although I don't know that I've ever really seen a very durable netbook. Lenovo is known for their business machines, but usually are pretty plain jane in their appearance.

If interested in Gaming, I think you have to give alienware a look. www.alienware.com

Solution

Stryyder

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I disagree to some extent dell has really limited the number and types of laptops with decent dedicated video cards I think to push people into the alienware line. I think they are probably one of the best choices for standard computing but if you want to do gaming your going to pay for it and your choices are limited with Dell

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

Never said they had good dedicated graphics. I said they were more customizable, how many vendors do you know of that allow you to customize your laptop more than Dell?

The OP didn't mention anything about gaming, he said he was looking for reliability and durability. I said it depended on the model. And he asked about specific vendors, Dell being the largest of them.

Suchitra Kumar

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Thank you so much guys for your valuable suggestions. 'Veteran' as u said i got an idea about the notebooks and finalised my brand as DELL Inspiron.. As i'm not a gamer i thnk DELL would meet my needs. Also i'm bothered about the looks of my lapy . In that way DELL would be good than LENOVO i suppose . Once again Thank you .