Which laptop would you get?

forge08

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Hello, everyone. Thank you for taking the time.

I am in the market for a new laptop, and I think I have narrowed my selection down to two Eluktronics models. They are both the same price (though one is one sale), with some minor differences in specs.

I'll start by saying that I'm not a gamer. At least not in the labor intensive way. This computer will be heavy usage with lots of multitasking, and running various videos / movies while doing so. These are the two I am looking at:

http://www.eluktronics.com/P650HP6-5P16RVR#product-description

Operating System: Genuine Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit (Clean Installation, No Bloatware)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core (2.8-3.8GHz TurboBoost, 6MB L3 Cache)

Core Logic: Mobile Intel® HM175 Express Chipset

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM (1 Dimm)

Display: 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti-Glare Display (1920 x 1080)

Graphics: 6GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060

Primary Drive: 512GB Eluktro Pro-X Performance M.2 PCIe NVMe Flash SSD

Internal Expandability: Three empty RAM dimm slots; Two 7mm HDD/SSD or One 9.5mm HDD/SSD. Mounting hardware included!

Wireless: Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.2

Keyboard: Premium fully customizable color LED backlit keyboard with 10-key numeric keypad; W/A/S/D gaming keys.

Webcam: 2.0MP Full HD Webcam and Array Mic. Microphone supports Windows 10 Cortana Voice Command

Ports: 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type-C), 3 USB 3.0 Ports, HDMI™ 2.0 (with HDCP), 2 Mini DisplayPort v1.3, Gigabit Ethernet, 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone & S/PDIF Coaxial output), 1 Microphone jack, 6-in-1 SD Card reader

Added Security: Fingerprint Reader; TPM 2.0; Kensington® Lock

Audio: Sound Blaster® X-FI® MB5 with Onkyo Speakers; ANSPTM 3D sound technology on headphone output

Power: 200 Watt AC Adapter

Battery: 4-Cell 60WHr Polymer Battery

Weight: 5.8lbs

**should be noted that this one has 3 fans.

and the second option is this:

http://www.eluktronics.com/N857HK1-5P2H32R-RTS

Operating System: Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (Clean Installation, No Bloatware)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core (2.8-3.8GHz TurboBoost, 6MB L3 Cache)

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM (2 Dimm)

Display: 15.6" LG® Full HD IPS Anti-Glare Display (1920 x 1080)

Graphics: 4GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Primary & Storage Drive: 512GB Eluktro Pro-X Ultra Performance PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD + 2TB Seagate® FireCuda® Hybrid 5400RPM 7mm Storage Hard Drive

Wireless: Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.2

Keyboard: Premium Full-size RGB Backlit Keyboard with 10-key numeric keypad

Webcam: 2.0MP Full HD Webcam & Array Mic

Ports: 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 1 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type C), HDMI (with HDCP), 2 Mini DisplayPorts, Gigabit Ethernet, 1 Headphone jack, 1 Microphone jack, SD Card Reader

Added Security: Fingerprint Reader; TPM 2.0; Kensington® Lock

Audio: Sound Blaster™ Cinema 3 with Onkyo Speakers

Power: 120 Watt AC Adapter

Battery: 6-Cell 62WHr

Weight: 5.6lbs

Dimensions: 14.88 x 10.51 x 1.06"

**this one only has 2 fans

I have an inquiry out to the company on whether or not there is any difference in the LCD monitor that is used but assuming that there is not, is there an option you prefer. I like the increased ram of option #2, but not sure I would ever need that right now, and I like the increased superior ports of the first one. Does anyone have a preference on which is the better option at this point in time?

Lutfij

Splendid
Increased ram, storage, one tier lower GPU and the premium backlit keyboard. Otherwise if you're not going to be gaming you're going to be fine with the first option. Mind you you vaguely mentioned that you're going to be watching videos and multitasking. Mind sharing the kind of work loads(apps) you will have when you will be multitasking?

Per your question about the screen, they are both identical.

forge08

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I do a lot blogging for sports websites, particularly college scouting for the draft. So at any given time, I could have browser open with 20 tabs, several videos up (game tape and the like, obviously not all playing at once, but I will have the videos up), and then other applications such as various excel spreadsheets, word programs, and the like. I may cut and splice some videos together for my write up.

I realize that either is probably more than enough to get me through what I need to do, but unfortunately I'm not really a computer aficionado, so I like to get the opinion of people who are more knowledgeable than myself.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Hmm, I would almost say ditch the GPU and get a light weight ultrabook. Unless you think you really need a GPU to run simultaneous videos with hardware acceleration.

The extra memory would certainly be useful for heavy browser use, but 20 tabs isn't that much, and 8GB is mostly enough for your typical office suite.

Strange retailer. They don't really have anything in between i7 + GTX and fairly low end products (except one expensive Dell business machine)

Given those choices I would take the 1050Ti and only 16GB of memory.

forge08

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of them before. Kind of found them by accident while doing my research on laptops, then I saw the specs and the price point and thought that was a lot of bang for my buck. The reviews of their stuff is pretty good online and the amazon customer reviews are really good so I figured couldn't be all that bad.