Solved! Which laptop would you recommend for the budget?

TarekElsakka

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Hi there

I'm currently in Liverpool and I'd like to buy my sister a new laptop. She's in her first year of college and her MBP is old and extremely slow. It needs a new hard drive and a RAM upgrade so spending all that money on an old laptop doesn't make sense.

I am not familiar with Windows-based laptops because I've always been a Mac user myself, so I'd like your opinions and advice on which laptop to buy.

I have a tight budget that I cannot exceed, which is around 250 GBP.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know. I'm not familiar with any computer stores in the city center area of Liverpool besides Currys PC World so I think I'll either be checking it out or using Amazon for the purchase.

Thank you for your time.

------

1. What is your budget? 250 GBP

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13"

3. What screen resolution do you want? Any

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? Not sure

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Microsoft Office, Internet Research, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Preferably 250GB+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.amazon.co.uk

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Not sure

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Not important

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don't have a preference

13. What country do you live in? Liverpool, United Kingdom

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

TarekElsakka

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

Thank you for your reply. Those seem like good choices but as I mentioned in my post, I am looking for a laptop that actually has a HDD with a capacity of 250GB or more. I found a lot of really good refurbished ones on Amazon but I am not sure how the whole refurbished thing works. Are they as good as new? Did they have a factory problem? Are they actually used or just faulty from the factory? I don't really know if I should give that a chance. And in case you're wondering, the main reason I am looking for one with a HDD is because the upload speed in my home country is extremely slow which renders cloud storage unreliable.

oliverino2002

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

You could still get one of those and an external hdd for the money. It'll cost more to have a bigger drive in the computer rather than an external.

TarekElsakka

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'm going to read more about Amazon's refurbished laptops and see if it's going to be a reliable option, if not, then I'll surely get one of the models listed above as well as an external HDD.