Which Laptop ?

CuriousGeorge

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
My birthday is coming up the 29th July and i cannot decide between these two laptops.

They are both refurbs :kaola:

The laptops are:

///////////////////////////////////

Acer Aspire 6920g:

http://tinyurl.com/acer6920g

Acer Aspire 8730g:

http://tinyurl.com/acer8730g

////////////////////////////////////

The 6920g has a better GPU, the 8730g has a faster CPU.
The 6920g has a 16.4" screen, the 8730g has an 18.4" screen.
The 6920g has an older 65nm morem, the 8730g 45nm penryn.
The 6920g has a cinedash multimedia panel, the 8730g has a volume touch slider.
The 6920g has a blu-ray drive, the 8730g has a DVD RW.

I would like to know if i would be able to notice any difference between the T5750 and the T6400; or if the £20 cheaper 6920g would be the best route to go.

Thanks,
CuriousGeorge :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

No, you will not notice a difference between the two CPUs performance wise. The only thing the T6400 may give you is slightly longer battery life.

If you plan on gaming, the 6920 is the clear choice. The HD3650 is a MUCH stronger GPU than the 9300 GS. I would seriously doubt that the 9300 GS could even power the 18.4'' screen in games.

Go with the 6730, not only is the processor faster but the GPU will also give you a performance boost.

There is no 6730. I also have absolutely no clue how you figure the 9300M GS is faster than an HD 3650

I'm not sure who keeps convincing people that VRAM is the all important factor for graphics cards :non: The only time it should be a deciding factor is when you are comparing two of the exact same graphics cards.

The 9300M GS in question is an entry level GPU that is barely a step above an integrated solution. The HD 3650 is a mid-level card that will provide a much better experience for the end user. This is not a question about which has more VRAM or of what speed. This is all about the internals of the card and the HD 3650 is superior to the 9300M GS in just about every way.

Keep in mind that VRAM is often used as a gimmick by manufacturers to get more money out of unknowing consumers. They put tons of VRAM on weak cards which thus convinces consumers, who don't go and do their homework, that it is a better card. Hardly ever the case.

CuriousGeorge

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Thank you. I'm not terribly bothered about battery life, so i think i will go with the 6920g.

It also does my dad a favour with not having to spend as much money. :kaola:

It seems that ATI are in the lead with mobile GPUs ATM.

One more question. Would the ATI Mobility HD 3650 run COD4 ? :kaola: :kaola:

Thanks for your help, any idea how i can give you REP or anything similar ?

Thanks,

CuriousGeorge :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
So you are talking about the core clock, memory clock, and stuff like that, ok, I am a bit of a noob, here so i just read about that stuff yesterday.

It might be able to play COD4 on decent settings, but i am gonna have to have lostandwandering back me up on this

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I want to know the formula for figuring out which graphic cards can handle which games because alls I ever see online is people guessing.

Someone IRL tried to make me believe that their computer: AMD athlon X2 4000, 1GB RAM, 8500 GT could play Crysis on High settings without lag. He also said RAM has no effect on framerate, lol.

Then someone upgraded from an 8500GT to a 9600 GSO because they said a 9600 GSO is ALMOST as good as a 9800 GT because according to him a GSO is better than a GT! hahaha

I get too many peoples opinions, its about time I seek out facts.

^That's when you use Toms Hardware GPU charts for your answer. An 8500 GT could only play Crysis decently if you aren't using DX10, otherwise there is no way in hell.

If he is talking system RAM, then he is pretty much dead wrong. If he is talking VRAM, he is somewhat right it just depends on your quality settings and screen Res.

CuriousGeorge: The HD 3650 could handle COD4 on low to medium settings. Will it be the best? No, but it should be acceptable.

BTW, for anyone looking for laptop game benchmarks, check this site out. They have the most complete mobile GPU list available: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

They are still missing benchmarks, but there are just far too many games and cards to test fully.

CuriousGeorge

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

You are a forum legend, thanks for your help.

:wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo:

Atleast i use my common sense unlike certain youtubers who expect the crappest of laptops to run crysis XD

Desktops are for gaming :wahoo:.

My dad's uber powerful rocket space mission desktop spec:

Core i7 965 extreme edition (overclocked @ 4.00 ghz x 4 with hyperthreading so it has 2 times virtual cores)

16gb Discrete DDR3 RAM (i think :p)

Twin GTX 285 SLI

DUDE I HAVE THE SAME CASE AS YOU !! - ANTEC 300 ! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p