Which MacBook Pro do I need?

Xcelorin

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I am in the market for a MacBook Pro, and am wondering which one would fit my needs for the lowest price.

I will mainly use it to edit videos captured from my Go Pro, iPhone, and Nikon D5300. Otherwise, it will be used as my main laptop for college.

At the moment, I am torn between the two 15 inch options. I don't quite know if I will need the NVIDIA 750M for what I plan on using it for. I realize however, that once I make the purchase, there is no upgrading later. Do I even need an i7 to do the video editing, or would one of the 13" work fine? All opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Solution
For doing video editing, you really do need to have the i7. Video editing and rendering benefits from highly multithreaded processors, and with the hyperthreading technology in the i7, it can process up to 8 streams at once, where the i5 can only do 4. Also, the integrated graphics uses the system ram for the display, taking more resources away from the processor. If you can stretch your budget, I think you would be happiest with the 15" with the GTX 750M graphics, for the reasons mentioned above, and double the amount of onboard storage that comes with it.

To save some money, I usually buy refurbished macs direct from Apple. They don't have any MacBook Pros right now, but you can save $200-$300. Also, check the education store...
Jul 16, 2013
For doing video editing, you really do need to have the i7. Video editing and rendering benefits from highly multithreaded processors, and with the hyperthreading technology in the i7, it can process up to 8 streams at once, where the i5 can only do 4. Also, the integrated graphics uses the system ram for the display, taking more resources away from the processor. If you can stretch your budget, I think you would be happiest with the 15" with the GTX 750M graphics, for the reasons mentioned above, and double the amount of onboard storage that comes with it.

To save some money, I usually buy refurbished macs direct from Apple. They don't have any MacBook Pros right now, but you can save $200-$300. Also, check the education store for student discounts.

Solution