Which one would you pick?

Rogerdoger45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I like the first one. The Gateway. I checked BB for Compaq in your price range. They have one one listed on their Web Site. It has more Ram. Plus better vid card. BUT!!!! What I don't like is the slowwwwwwwwwwww HD at 4200. I know about slow. Because that's what my Compaq has is slow. Have you checked NewEgg?

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
you didn't say what your wife would be doing with the laptop? if she is going to surfing the net, get the core duo 2's, as they are faster. you should get 1 gig to 2 gig, expandable. i liked the toshiba, T5500. i am also partial to the hp 6000, but it was rated pretty good. i believe both those are expandable to 2 gig for ram.
i know i go thru the ram, but i surf a lot. and i also do graphics. if she needs more hard drive, buy her an additional little one, next cmas.
good luck
suzy

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
in case you want to look - hp has some discounts that i believe end today, the 23rd... check www.hp-bargain.com. oh, and some nice added free updates.
they also have 6 months same as cash, i think?
suzy

ps
she might not need the added graphics card. i learned along time ago that i did. but thats for my stuff that i seem to get involved in. that could save u money. you can't update that tho. you can add ram, swap out the hd (i think). =

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
i looked back at the ones you linked to. i narrowed it down to the 1 hp and 2 toshiba's.
breakdown (i believe in your order?):
BB T A105-S4284 T2050 533mhz 1 gig exp 4gig 100HD 5400 $729soldout
CC T A105-S4384 T5500 667mhz 1 gig exp 4gig 160HD 4200 $799
CC HP dv6130 T5200 533mhz 1 gig exp 2gig 120HD 5400 $899

you could go with the hp, as it has a faster rmp hd.

or you could go with the middle one -toshiba.
now, why you don't ask the experts here if that hard drive could be swaped out for a better, at a later date, if your wife finds it too slow?
or what about partitioning the drive to make access faster?

i agree with the faster hard drive, but i wouldn't want to give up a processor speed or ram. those are the two things and a graphics card that i have learned to get the best i could afford.
i surf the net a lot. and waiting for web pages is not fun.
now, accessing my files, is slow as i have external hard drives that i have to access. i dislike it, but i can surf the net while i wait. :)

or, another option. hp site. a 6000 with a T5500, 1gig Ram, 80 HD, was 924.99. they say they have a 250.00 rebate??? so thats under 700? 6 months same as cash? free printer?

good luck
suzy
ps, if i have something in error, please correct me :)

Yes you can change RAM and HDDs in any laptop. As far as graphics go, it all depends on the manufacturer. Some solder their cards in place to prevent people from messing with them and others don't with the hopes people will come back, pay them more money to upgrade. Suzy is right though. For what the laptop will be used for a dedicated card is probably not needed. Intel GMA or ATi express should do fine.

Suzy, with those laptops, the second Toshiba and the HP are the best buys. The First Toshiba's processor is too low end and may lag the system. The second Toshiba's HDD can be replaced as stated above.

Rogerdoger45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
I was thinking about that suzy swaping out the HD some time later. I also looked at the HP site saw that 6000 one it's all black right, thanks for the help all.

phase_22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I like the first one. The Gateway. I checked BB for Compaq in your price range. They have one one listed on their Web Site. It has more Ram. Plus better vid card. BUT!!!! What I don't like is the slowwwwwwwwwwww HD at 4200. I know about slow. Because that's what my Compaq has is slow. Have you checked NewEgg?

I agree with the first choice of the list--faster core 2 cpu @ 667 MHz front side bus. However, for a recommendation I would keep looking around as others suggest.

phase_22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Yes, of the list you made, the Gateway would be my choice. The Core 2 T5600 looks really good (other laptops in the list are slower either in speed, fsb, or the "older" yonah architecture which is also a 32 bit processor), HDD speed is okay & it has plenty of capacity, and it is not over your budget in comparison to the other laptops in your list.

Again, that is what I would choose for your given list & I agree with the others to keep looking around.

Good luck :)

Rogerdoger45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks phase 22 I looked around and thses are the best deals I could find . Gateway does have the best harware I am just not sure how good are they?

phase_22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks phase 22 I looked around and thses are the best deals I could find . Gateway does have the best harware I am just not sure how good are they?
Well I know what you mean, perhaps you can browse the notebook forums site for opinions and additional info on Gateway. (Personally I don't have experience with the brand)

marinemerchant

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Dell Inspiron 6400 for $650-850
Expires 2/7/07

You may want to check into the T2060 (base cpu offered) and think about upgrading to the T5200. I'm sure your wife doesn't need the 256MB video card that comes with the $799 or $850 models.

And you may be able to find some other Dell coupons to use (free stuff or lower price). Also they take PayPal, I love it.