Solved! Which type of internal storage drive should I get, 5400rpm or 7200 rpm?

Oct 20, 2020
I have a Dell Precision 7720, 32 GB RAM, and Xeon E3-1505M 3.00GHz processor. I do video and photo editing. I've been operating on 500 GB WD Black 7200 rpm HDD with no internal storage drive, but it's time to make the switch. I ordered a WD Black SN750 NVMe 500 GB of which I plan on using for the boot drive/installing programs, but I'm not sure what to get for an internal storage drive? I'm leaning toward a WD Blue (5400 rpm), but if I'm opening a file that's stored on that in a program that's installed on the main drive (let's say, Photoshop or Vegas Pro), will there be performance issues with that compared to a 7200 rpm storage drive? Thank you!

Solution
So if I understand, you are installing a 500GB SSD for boot and programs and using a second internal HDD for data? First off, the 500GB SSD should leave you considerable space for working files after you install Windows and your programs. That space will always be way faster than a HDD. Regarding 5400 vs 7400 you won't see much difference.

You can get large SSDs (e.g. 2TB) drives. A little more expensive but why not go that route? Be sure you practice static safe (ESD) precautions when you open your machine! Static can damage your machine even if you can't feel it.
So if I understand, you are installing a 500GB SSD for boot and programs and using a second internal HDD for data? First off, the 500GB SSD should leave you considerable space for working files after you install Windows and your programs. That space will always be way faster than a HDD. Regarding 5400 vs 7400 you won't see much difference.

You can get large SSDs (e.g. 2TB) drives. A little more expensive but why not go that route? Be sure you practice static safe (ESD) precautions when you open your machine! Static can damage your machine even if you can't feel it.

Solution
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks for the reply, Al. That makes sense. Perhaps it would be sensible to get the larger SSD. So, if I'm understanding correctly--if files are stored on an internal storage HDD, but the program is installed on the boot SSD if would affect the performance? For instance, I often get video editing projects in which the source footage is a few hundred GBs. So, if I were to have that stored on an internal HDD, and drag the files into the video editing program, which is installed on the SSD, that would affect the performance of the program? I guess that's all I'm trying to understand. But what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Also, thanks for the tips on ESD. I honestly had no idea about any of that!

Yes indeed. The program load takes some time but loading a 200GB data file would be much slower. Having that on the SSD would help. Keep in mind if you are working with a file this big, it can't all fit in RAM so the program would need to keep accessing the drive to bring in the pieces it needs. I think you would be happier with the biggest SSD you can install.

Oct 20, 2020
Thanks, Al. I didn't mean one file that large, haha, I just meant the total projects totaling that (so, a couple of hundred 4k video clips). But, I appreciate the help! Thank you for clearing this up for me.

How much storage do you need? Did you look at SSD prices for that size? They are pretty cheap now for larger sizes, even 1TB ones are not bad at all, especially ones not on the top range of performance, which are still faster than any platter drive.

If you don't care about a bit more noise and power use a 7200 rpm is better if you go with a platter drive and will be running files off it vs just something for storage and backups.