White screen HP Pavilion G6-2210sa

ghyiards

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Hello!

The current issue is that this laptop only displays a blank, white screen. When I received the laptop, despite one hinge being faulty the screen worked fine (albeit temperamentally, sometimes the display would have "red instead of black" and required tilting/wiggling to return to normal). In an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, I repaired the hinge by replacing the bottom chassis, replacing the screen cable at the same time while the laptop was apart. This fixed the hinge issue but unfortunately, upon powering up, only a white screen was displayed. I then put the old cable back in to see if I'd bought a faulty cable, which gave the same white screen. If this helps, the new cable's webcam connector works fine (as tested on an external VGA monitor).

In summary, I doubt it's the onboard graphics since external VGA monitors work fine and it powers up and boots windows, and I doubt it's the motherboard/screen connecting wire since I replaced it. Obviously this leaves the screen at fault, but I'm wondering if there's any concrete way to tell for sure. As far as I know I can't use the HP diagnostic tool since I can't see the BIOS screen.

Is there a definite way to confirm the screen is at fault, or do I just risk it and buy a new screen?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hi,

Actually the way I tell if it's the LCD itself that is faulty is by connecting it to an external monitor and if it works normally that sends you back to the LCD. I would next suggest to replace the ribbon cable that connect the LCD to the motherboard but since you've already done that as well that leaves you with the LCD being faulty.

Hopefully this will help. :)
Hi,

Actually the way I tell if it's the LCD itself that is faulty is by connecting it to an external monitor and if it works normally that sends you back to the LCD. I would next suggest to replace the ribbon cable that connect the LCD to the motherboard but since you've already done that as well that leaves you with the LCD being faulty.

Hopefully this will help. :)

Solution

ghyiards

Honorable
May 9, 2013

Thanks for replying! I'll assume it's a faulty screen and replace it. :)