White screen problem

Shashank Hegde

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
My laptop dell vostro 2520 had problem with motherboard so i replaced it with new one. But after connecting to new one I am having the white screen problem.
When I turn on the laptop dell logo appears with F2 and F12 displayed at the bottom right and suddenly goes to white screen. And now nothing can be done. Even if I try to enter safe mode or setup mode it is displaying the same. No matter what you press immediately after 2 seconds of turn on it goes to white screen.
I removed the panel and checked with the lcd cable. When I disconnected and reconnect the lcd cable while the laptop is running, I could see the normal booting of the laptop and after reconnection its white screen again. Hence not understanding whether its screen problem, cable problem or video card problem. Since its a new motherboard I don't that it is video card problem. Kindly help with this issue

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may mean it was a faulty motherboard that was purchased.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may mean it was a faulty motherboard that was purchased.

Solution