Question Who do you think is winning the video 'streaming wars'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Staying home for extended periods of time has given many of us a new perspective on the world, but it also allows some folks more time to consume massive amounts of content.

If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, who do you think is winning the "streaming wars?" Disney+ has access to a massive amount of very specific content, while Netflix has a massive quantity of content, with not all of it being worthwhile.

Which streaming services do you prefer and why? What are some niche services you recommend folks try out?

T2Jock

Great
Jan 15, 2020
I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu and CBS AllAccess. I am also an Amazon Prime member. Netflix is #1, most used service, followed closely by Hulu. Netflix is my most used service because they consistently have many programs that I like, while the others have just one or two.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Netflix for sure. It's at the top of my list when I want to watch something, but I also have Disney+ and Hulu. If you're into British content, then I suggest taking a look at BritBox as well.

Last edited:
Netflix, of course, is one of the biggest video streaming sites and is definitely winning this war as it has all type of genre videos so it gives huge scope to its user who can rely on it whereas Disney plus is limited to kids and it cannot appeal to every user preferences.

Having Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and a bunch of other properties like Simpsons is not really limiting them to kids.

For a normal household you really need two streaming services, and one of them should be Disney+, unless you don't have kids and don't care much about anything else they offer. For the price and amount of content, it's not crazy to pay $10-15 a month each for 3 services.

Reactions: RedHeadsRule
May 23, 2020
I can tell you who’s not winning: consumers.

The market is over-saturated and each has one must-see show (I’m looking at you Mandalorian and Handmaid’s Tale). If piracy hasn’t increased (again), it will. No one wants to pay $300+/month for all of their media and communication services.

Reactions: Juju Goes
May 25, 2020
I can tell you who’s not winning: consumers.

The market is over-saturated and each has one must-see show (I’m looking at you Mandalorian and Handmaid’s Tale). If piracy hasn’t increased (again), it will. No one wants to pay $300+/month for all of their media and communication services.
I agree! I have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu--and then realized that I was also paying for channels within the Amazon Prime such as Starz, PBS Masterpiece, History Vault, HBO and Showtime! I was paying well over $50/mo for these extras so I ditched them. I also stopped paying to stream movies on Prime-what a rip-off! Especially movies that are over a decade old-hello, they want me to rent them? I use Netflix most, followed by Hulu and then Amazon but now that Handmaids and Good Girls are caught up, and the Voice is over, Hulu is kinda dead in the water for me right now. I agree with you. Guess I might have to start devouring books again--god knows I have a ton on standby!

May 27, 2020
I know who's going to lose--HBO MAX, for sure unless it goes onto Roku. I just canceled the HBO NOW subscription that I started when Dish dropped HBO, because wife no longer has Game of Thrones to watch, and nothing else there now is worth paying for--certainly not the movies available on HBO NOW or promised for HBO MAX, and they haven't been having new shows of their own of the quality of Thrones, Deuce, Treme, or Sopranos. An older Roku is my present streaming handler; I expect to upgrade it soon, because both Tom's and Consumer Reports have confirmed my positive evaluation of Roku's newest. Meanwhile, the present low level of brainwork at HBO has decided to dump Roku, confirming my negative evaluation--and perhaps Dish's--of HBO's future.

Apr 22, 2020
Netflix seems to be run away No 1 right now. Amazon Prime is also putting up a decent fight.

Youtube has thrown it's hat in the ring, But let's see how far can it go.

Jun 1, 2020
As an indian, I would say Amazon Prime considering it has generated better content as compared to netflix in recent times like Panchayat, Pataal Lok. Netflix India's shows like Betaal and Bard of blood were not successful as compared to Family man. Netflix has a good hold on movies I can say with some of the best Rom-coms

sadiqrehan

Great
Jul 29, 2020
According to me the Streaming apps are:
  • Netflix
  • Amazon prime video
  • Hotstar
Though Netflix has more content but i think Amazon prime video is becoming popular day by day because the subscrption of prime is much cheaper than Netflix and the content is improving day by day.

Status
Not open for further replies.