Who Wants SteamOS?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
"This would put it on even ground with consoles like the Xbox One and the PS4 (or even the existing Xbox 360 and PS3)."

It's the other way around. What you find today in consoles is not because of their own creativity, but something that has been in place for a long long time now. Valve has had them in PC for good while, before the current console gen as well.

Hope they get this one right. Linux games haven't seen much spot light, but is Valve backs them up, I'm sure they'll start using Linux as a viable platform; specially when Android is around the corner as well.

Cheers!

Remarius

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Can't see a single reason why anyone except a Microsoft hater would ever want to use this system if they have a half way decent computer. All the comments rather confirm that view. Coincidentally that's coming from someone with over 150 steam games who should be their natural market target for new products.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I am a little bit conserned that we will get one linux distribution more. The Linux word is allready so fragmented that it is hard to make programs that in every (even more than one) linux distribution. It is like we would have windowsA, windowsB, windowsC, windowsD and so on. And widowsA would only run windowsA programs and windowsB windowsB programs... Difficult as a h*** for end user. So I hope that this will be just a frontend to some common Linux distribution so that they could run same programs... Just my humble hope. Any changes that would make gaming easier to linux world are most wellcome, I just don't hope for more fragmentation.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
If they could somehow wrestle DirectX from Microsoft's greedy paws and implement it, then yes. But as it is, 90%+ of my steam games WILL NOT WORK on this OS. I will not use an OS that will not play ALL of my games. Especially one where a good 100+ games that I own will not run.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
If they could somehow wrestle DirectX from Microsoft's greedy paws and implement it, then yes. But as it is, 90%+ of my steam games WILL NOT WORK on this OS. I will not use an OS that will not play ALL of my games. Especially one where a good 100+ games that I own will not run.

Not me. So if we need to browse a website for anything, chat, teamspeak, skype, or do anything, do we have to reboot into a dual OS just to use those things? In a time where consoles are trying to add chat, web browsing, video playing to make an all-in-one system to use in your living room, steam is going away from that to make an OS that goes back 2 generations to what the original XBox and PS2 did, just play a game. Want to browse a youtube video, have to hook up another device with SteamOS. And if SteamOS does add in a browser, chat, teamspeak, ability for a virus scanner which is needed if you are browsing, then they just become the bloated OS they claimed they are getting away.

Either way, I see it as a failure. It doesn't play windows games. So now what, are they going to have to get game companies like EA to make BF5 for the XBone, PS4, PC and steamOS on top of it all? Welcome to crappy-port city if that's the case.

If they can't get Windows games to play, then what's the point? Streaming. Ya, ok. In days where people buy 100000DPI mice and 1ms monitors and $300 routers for the lowest ping, everyone is going to want to deal with streaming lag for serious gaming. Fail.

Not me. So if we need to browse a website for anything, chat, teamspeak, skype, or do anything, do we have to reboot into a dual OS just to use those things? In a time where consoles are trying to add chat, web browsing, video playing to make an all-in-one system to use in your living room, steam is going away from that to make an OS that goes back 2 generations to what the original XBox and PS2 did, just play a game. Want to browse a youtube video, have to hook up another device with SteamOS. And if SteamOS does add in a browser, chat, teamspeak, ability for a virus scanner which is needed if you are browsing, then they just become the bloated OS they claimed they are getting away.

Either way, I see it as a failure. It doesn't play windows games. So now what, are they going to have to get game companies like EA to make BF5 for the XBone, PS4, PC and steamOS on top of it all? Welcome to crappy-port city if that's the case.

If they can't get Windows games to play, then what's the point? Streaming. Ya, ok. In days where people buy 100000DPI mice and 1ms monitors and $300 routers for the lowest ping, everyone is going to want to deal with streaming lag for serious gaming. Fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.