gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Ya beats it in price. but that's about it

[Mod note: Please keep comments non-vulgar. Thanks!]

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Actually, we're comparing a watch that isn't out yet to one that is just released. The point is that Android Wear's shaky start leaves the door open for a more successful iWatch launch.

As you'll see, I outline the strengths and weaknesses of Android Wear thus far. And based on multiple reports on the iWatch's capabilities, it seems at this point that Apple will be able to advantage of Android Wear's shortcomings.

Android Wear should improve with age, but right now it doesn't feel fully baked.

vaelyan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Seeing as how there are only a handful of drawings and nothing concrete to go by this article is incredibly premature. I hope the iWatch, if and when it gets here, looks like the one in the picture. Hell I'd even go buy one if it did since it's the best looking concept image out there.

I am currently an iPhone user, and semi-Mac user, who came to the dark side from Android.There's so much I like better about Android, however the largest part of my contact group is embedded in the Apple ecosystem and that's what drew me to the dark side. But to write such obvious drivel about a product that no one has seen or officially been acknowledged is ludicrous.

commonsensetech

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
How do you fix all these issues? Get a Sony smartwatch 2 n call it a day. The best smartwatch that nobody talks about that's probably the most compatible and does exactly what a snartwatch is suppose to do. People are expecting wayyyy to much from a smartwatch its a watch

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
I agree that there are things to like about the Sony Smartwatch 2. It shows the time all the time (and you can read it). And it allows you granular control over which people gives you alerts. And you get a microUSB port for charging. No clunky dock.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Samsung has been pushing their crappy smart watches for a few years now trying to be the first big smart watch player and has been putting out some devices with way too many features that drive up the price and drive down battery life. LG's watch seems to be a "me too!" effort that doesn't do anything innovative and also struggles with more than a day's worth of battery life. Motorola's Moto 360 looks to be a far more premium device and will hopefully be a more refined device in the Android Wear space but it hasn't yet been released and thus cannot be compared to the other 2 yet.

With that said, the "iWatch" is all rumors right now so we're comparing a nonexistent product with imagined capabilities to actual devices that are on the market. Pebble should have been included in this comparison since it's a real product I can go purchase and use and is much more refined in its software aspects due to . However since it's clear that the author is only writing this based off others' impressions of the devices and not actually having worn or used a single one of them then his opinion would have been just as uninformed for Pebble as well.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Uhhh, your title Is "Why Apple's iWatch Already Beats Android Wear"... which is a statement leading readers to believe you've had a comparison test. Then I start reading and this is pretty much an advertisement with you stating words such as "should", "I expect", "rumors", "reportedly"... etc, etc. This is by far one of the worst reporting articles I've read from Toms, very subjective and presumptuous. Maybe you should change your title to: "Why I feel Apple's iWatch Has Potential To Beat Android Wear"

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
Hey there folks,

Just going to chime in here on this since a bit of the "OMG APPLE FANBOY!!1" allegations are starting to seep through the usual veneer of civility. Firstly, a reminder that Tom's doesn't do sides in the great brand wars. There are people on staff who would and could debate AMD vs. Nvidia, PC vs. Apple, and Coke vs. Pepsi until the stars had dimmed in the heavens - but non-bias is built-in to the editorial and news approach from the get-go. Tom's exists to provide pertinent news to you and the occasional withering critique to OEMs, one of the reasons former Intel CEO referred to Tom's as his favorite tech website. We don't pull punches, and we aren't going to BS you when it comes to stuff like this.

To keep things on track with this discussion, I ask that your check your brand loyalties at the door and take a look at what was really said and the points noted in the article. We want your feedback and input, but the "ugh total ad for Applez" commentary is un-productive and inaccurate. As an aside, since I'm Community and not constrained by the express non-bias/journalistic integrity Mark is in Editorial, if there's a check from Apple waiting somewhere, I'm totally willing to cash it and take one for the team. I will buy hats. So many hats.

-JP

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
These are excellent points. If that's the rumored design, it looks amazing. It's not as much of a watch as it is a high-tech wrist band though

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Good point on Microsoft's watch. We just posted on latest rumors. Looks like it will be more like a fitness band with notifications. Cross-platform support will be key. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-smartband-features,news-19106.html

So it would be in direct competition with the iWatch: "instead of attempting to be an all-purpose shrunken smartphone, the iWatch will reportedly focus on fitness and health."

Not that interested in buying any of these, but it's fun to see what both companies come up with.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Um... who still buys a watch? And if they are, they sure as hell aren't going to buy this digitized crap. They'll be buying an Omega, a Rolex, a Baume and Mercier, a Tudor, etc.

Smart watches are already a fad, but I'm sure it'll die kicking and screaming.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Right, I personally think going the fitness-focused/smartband route makes more sense for attracting shoppers. It's a newer thing for consumers, instead of an old thing made newer.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Computers, smartphones, glasses, watches, tablets...we already only use 10% of our brain. We're becoming less minded thinkers. Eventually, we'll only need to use ~7% of our brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.