Question Why are bullies in American TV series written to be so physically violent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2023
I grew up watching American series and movies, like many people around the world, and I wonder why bullies are written as physically violent, even psychopathic people. I know that bullying can be both physical and psychological. I don't deny it, but the degree of physical violence seems a bit surreal to me. I watched Daybreak on Netflix and in one episode, the hero is practically beaten to death and spat on by his bullies outside a shopping mall in the middle of the day. I'm not saying this kind of thing doesn't happen, but I don't think many bullies would do this for all the world to see. I'm not even talking about the bullies in Stephen King's works, who are literally psychopaths in the making. I was personally a victim of bullies in my youth and it was mostly verbal abuse and insults. Bullies didn't want to be seen by adults. So what is your experience about this ? I don't see my experience is Universal. I'm just thinking about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.