Why I’m Still Using the iPhone SE

Jan 21, 2019
I loved my iPhone 5s with it's convenient 4.87 x 3.81 inch size and 4 inch display that I got back in 2013 and used up until one month ago. I enjoyed carrying it on my belt loop with an inexpensive yet rugged Aduro holster case and having it super-handy to receive or shoot off a text message just like the days of the Wild West. I type two thumbed at well over a respectable 30 wpm, even without word-autocomplete. It fits perfectly in my hands and I've never dropped it. If my Bluetooth headset ran out of juice, I could plug headphones into it and continue on my brisk 5 mile lunch-time walk. I even paid $20 and spent 10 minutes to replace the battery myself.
Although I'm an engineer and love tech, I had no desire to swap my perfectly good phone out for one that was much bigger and far less convenient to carry through my day. The differential in speed and display simply aren't compelling. Last month, my iPhone 5s Lightning charging port got glitchy, it's internal contacts finally worn down by my daily charging. I began to panic! I most certainly don't want a Phablet or a Super-Sized phone. I asked my friendly corporate IT guy for advice and he magically pulled out a used iPhone 7 that was free for my taking. I can't resist free, but after two weeks with it, I've realized that it's a tad too big, causing me to nearly drop it twice. It's uncomfortable in my pants pocket or belt holster when I go for my brisk walks. I wish Apple would come out with an iPhone SE2. If they don't in the next year, I'll definitely be hunting down a svelte Google Pixel variant.

bugmenotplz

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 13, 2014
Very true.. I want a phone with a small footprint that just works. I don't need or want a gigantic phone. Even the SE is a bit large for my taste.

Jan 21, 2019
My SE fits in my FRONT pocket of my jeans (I assume that's what you meant; this is great theft protection). It's not too small: I can easily read any text. Hope we all will get something similar in the near future. Until then, I hope that our SE's will be included in software updates for a few more years to come.