Why I Can't Quit the iPhone for the Galaxy S6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omegaclawe

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Apple watch isn't even out yet and he's already decided it's going to be some magical holy grail of wearable tech... found that point rather disappointing.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I left apple years ago and never looked back.. Apples closed ecosystem doesn't allow for much individuality, and in many cases don't work well with other, non-apple devices.. I prefer an open standard.

My android phone can easily access files on my windows pc and NAS servers..

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Honestly, anybody in the comments that disagrees with the author of the article, HASN'T TRIED THE IPHONE. At least recently. Or own a companion device such as the Mac, the Apple TV, the iPad, etc.

Peace of mind knowing everything works and is interoperable is miles ahead of Samsung's cobbled ecosystem. I've own Apple and Samsung before.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I left apple years ago and never looked back.. Apples closed ecosystem doesn't allow for much individuality, and in many cases don't work well with other, non-apple devices.. I prefer an open standard.

My android phone can easily access files on my windows pc and NAS servers..

Really? I can do that quite easily on the iPhone.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Well, the plethora of iOS bugs that people complain about on the forums, the problems with updating even products that are not that old ( and they come from only one manufacturer, not a dozen), etc. are just a couple of things that tend to disagree with you.
Anyways, the article is just an opinionated piece, and as such the commentators are entitled to their own opinion, as well. Like someone said above, the only way to restore some of the author's credibility would be to follow up with articles where the name Apple is replaced by any other manufacturer. Even then, there will be people that will agree and people that will disagree, just because everyone's experience with said devices is different. You expressed your experience you had with these devices, other people expressed theirs.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

You would need to launch a program ( like this one, for example http://www.macroplant.com/phonetopc/p2p-tutorial ) that allows for files transfer; or you need to use that fancy bloatware also knows as iTunes; not "quite easily". With Android you can plug in and transfer by drag-and-drop in any Explorer window.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
To Tom's Hardware: In the past (a year ago?) there was an article basically explaining how Tom's Hardware was a technology news site and apple is included in that. It was in response to bias in community. We have our opinions and some people would be vocal and negative about "this mac crap," and the recent influx of lots of articles on mac products. It was a reasonable request to the community because you explained Tom's Hardware's position.

But this article makes me, someone who has never ever made such an immature comment on this site make we want to just respond "...another iSheep." Why? Because it's not about reporting about all technology as was previously mentioned. This isn't even marked as "OP ED" for opinion editorial. It's just simply "I like my overpriced apple club," and quite simply is bait for the exact comments you asked not to be put on here. Look at the number of responses, at the time of my writing there are 25 comments and most articles don't even get to that sort of response.

If you're going to ask us users not to give our strong opinions on specific brands perhaps your Editor in Chief should do the same.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Fun fact: Apple fans thinking about Apple products activates the "religious" part of the brain. http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/19/apple.religion/

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Honestly, anybody in the comments that disagrees with the author of the article, HASN'T TRIED THE IPHONE. At least recently. Or own a companion device such as the Mac, the Apple TV, the iPad, etc.

Peace of mind knowing everything works and is interoperable is miles ahead of Samsung's cobbled ecosystem. I've own Apple and Samsung before.

From my experience Apple growth is accelerating. I'm getting more and more questions about owning a Mac from people who never considered the prospect before. The whole AppleTV, iPod, iPad, iPhone, Mac juggernaught has people thinking that things might be better with a company that appears to know what they are doing. Anyone who says that Apple is foolish, sheepish, a bad idea, or makes bad products is basically lying through their teeth.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
It's called "vendor lock-in" and the author appears to embrace it. It's the same thing nVidia is attempting to do with Gsync. Personally, I try to avoid things like that, but for those that buy multiple apps for their devices, I can see how it sneaks up on you. It's more common than most realize and will continue to happen.

For me, I was trained to look at technology from a price/performance view and thus far, apple products have never come close to winning. My sister prefers apple, has an ipad and has had several iphones, and it really ticked her off when I switched from my Windows Phone to a Galaxy S5. I tried to explain it to her but she can't see past the "superior, premium" apple hype. Honestly, I'd prefer to have stayed with WP, I like the UI a lot more then Android.

nniillaa

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
Few points to make:

1) The reasons the reviewer gave are perfect reasons why NON techies enjoy and like Apple. It 'just works' without having to spend any time/energy researching alternative options that would take 'techie' knowledge. It's perfect for my mum, granny, little sister, etc.

2) The ability to respond/reply from any device 'as default' is a great one and something I hope google bakes into Android + Chrome combo. There are third party apps that allow this but they aren't as smooth and are definitely more hassle.

3) "The SG6 is better than the iPhone but I wont switch....." is exactly the reason why I like 'open' solutions that aren't tied to a particular brand. I dont want to be forced to buy whatever Apple chooses to give me every year because I have no alternative options. I want to be able to go out there and choose the best phone and just buy it without worrying that I will suddenly lose every app I have purchased, my whole 'eco system' will collapse, etc.

2) To have chat accross any devices without installing apps I can use hangouts - it lets me communicate accross all devices from any brand - PC/Laptop/Mobile/Tablet etc. For just chat accross ANY brand of mobile phone I use and enjoy Whatsapp.

3) To have my photos automatically backed up and available instantly on my PC I can use Google+ auto image backup. Otherwise I can use DropBox's auto photo backup feature - both are extremely mainstream and easy to use. Even the author should know of them.

6) To send images/photos/movies to my TV I dont have to go buy another product - I can just hit the 'throw' button on my phone and send it to any TV supporting the 'standards'.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
apple does have dibs on apps, for good reason. but i don't live for apps. and app games. i play chess once in a while. i had crossy road for a few days. im an android guy for sure.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Bang on. iOS completely dominates Android in everything except market share:

- #1 in Enterprise/corporate use by 2.5:1 for smartphones and 9:1 for tablets over Android (oh, but some losers on the Internet tell me you can't do work on iOS and it's for simple people).
- #1 in online shopping/revenue by 4x over Android.
- #1 in developer interest (many exclusives, higher quality Apps, much bigger vertical market and so on).
- #1 in App revenue for developers (another big reason why they favor iOS).
- #1 in digital content purchases (movies, music, TV) by almost 6X over Android.
- #1 in Internet traffic/usage.

It's quite funny how there's supposed to be gazillions of Android phones out there and yet the iPhone still dominates. What are they using all those devices for? Doorstops? Remote controls for their TV? Toys for the kids? Because they're not connecting to anything online, buying Apps or doing any work.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What's next, Tomshardware releases new music, with the first single, titled "Enophi Na Yub"? It'd be like an episode of The Simpsons, trying to get people to join the navy. No thanks.

ffasgg

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
There are certain things that are still not available on iOS though. Whatsapp Calling, not as many languages supported on Swype and Swiftkey for iOS, and no music players such as PowerAMP, Player Pro, etc.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Hey Mark, according to the site, ""Tom's Hardware is the Internet's premiere resource for hardware news and reviews.""" So wtf does this article have anything to do with news and reviews????

This is clearly an opinion piece.. In the title he writes "Why I Can't Quit the iPhone for the Galaxy S6".... What is actually preventing him from switching/quiting??? The real answer is nothing, he just chooses not to because of X,Y and Z reasons..

Mark, keep your opinion to yourself.. We really don't care why YOU chose not to switch the type of phone you use.. And get the site back to "news, test and reviews".......

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
So this article was written because you have other Apple products. Okay, fair enough. I have A windows based laptop, and a Samsung S5, my son has an LG, my wife has a windows phone, my daughter has a Sony E3. However, I will be keeping my S5, since I only see improvements aesthetically, and small improvements on features. Fair enough?

softskilled

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
same reasons for me plus better security/privacy in the apple world (in first party apps).
thing is while i am a techie, I focus on goals not on the journey there - apple gets me there faster with its integrated approach and no-nonsense design.
I also think that a phone (hardware only) review is worse than useless without contemplating its ecosystem. With that in mind android doesn't stand a chance - windows (including phone) does.

LiquidAMD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
A laboured, tiresome article for the gloating crapple sheeple. Why bother, says a MSlave. As pointless as my comment actually;)

demonkoryu

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I have an Android phone, I'm writing this at work using a PC with Linux, I've an iPad lying on my desk for reading stuff when I take a break, I'm gaming at home on a Windows PC. I also won't switch any of that stuff for anything else. So, there.

Status
Not open for further replies.