Why is my laptop screen black while it's on?

aga_banana

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
So I went to turn my brightness up after unplugging my laptop (Dell Latitude e6510) and when i clicked the brightness my screen went black, I just recently got this so I'm not exactly sure how it works. I've turned it off completely and then back on and the screen will turn on and work but while it's loading for lock screen it will flicker to a black screen for a second and then flick back on for a minute and then the screen will go completely black, my laptop is still on when it does this. I've turned it on without my charger cord plugged in and with it plugged in, it didn't make a difference. Is there an easy fix for this?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do a hard reboot first, remove the battery and unplug the the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If the same problem will persist uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again.
- Last option would be to reinstall Windows as the easiest fix.
- Here's how: http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/619241/EN
- If all these will not work I would suggest contacting Dell since it's still new it shouldn't be doing those problems.