News Why Roku beats every other streaming device

Dec 28, 2020
It’s kind of funny, I have had an Apple TV for about 4-5 years that my nephew gave me, and I got a Roku for free somehow this year, that I don’t remember how, but because I know the Apple cost over $100 and the Roku was only $25-$30, I never even tried it, I gave it to my brother... my bad!
Anyhow I have had an argument with a friend who uses FireStick (actually 2 women insist this happens with FireStick) I’ve searched for any information of their claim... which is that they can be on the Netflix channel and click on a movie and it requires payment and steers them to Amazon. Once one of them said that it was HBO? I saw mentioned in the article about Roku this line: “Roku is not like Amazon’s Fire OS, which is constantly trying to push you towards Prime Video and other Amazon services.” I know for sure that it’s not Netflix trying to promote other streaming services and that all movies on Netflix are available for the monthly fee; there are no extra cost premium movies. So, my question is, does FireStick interject Amazon Prime movies (and maybe others since she once mentioned that it was an HBO channel movie) into your stream even if you are on the Netflix Channel?
When I saw that sentence in the article, I thought that perhaps you could give me an answer and settle this argument, which it is, because she insists that it is Netflix doing it, and searching Google didn’t turn up anything aside from what I already know to be true, Netflix is pay one price depending on the tier you purchase. That doesn’t satisfy her; her FireStick is on Netflix, so she insists that Netflix has movies that you have to pay extra for.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It’s kind of funny, I have had an Apple TV for about 4-5 years that my nephew gave me, and I got a Roku for free somehow this year, that I don’t remember how, but because I know the Apple cost over $100 and the Roku was only $25-$30, I never even tried it, I gave it to my brother... my bad!
Anyhow I have had an argument with a friend who uses FireStick (actually 2 women insist this happens with FireStick) I’ve searched for any information of their claim... which is that they can be on the Netflix channel and click on a movie and it requires payment and steers them to Amazon. Once one of them said that it was HBO? I saw mentioned in the article about Roku this line: “Roku is not like Amazon’s Fire OS, which is constantly trying to push you towards Prime Video and other Amazon services.” I know for sure that it’s not Netflix trying to promote other streaming services and that all movies on Netflix are available for the monthly fee; there are no extra cost premium movies. So, my question is, does FireStick interject Amazon Prime movies (and maybe others since she once mentioned that it was an HBO channel movie) into your stream even if you are on the Netflix Channel?
When I saw that sentence in the article, I thought that perhaps you could give me an answer and settle this argument, which it is, because she insists that it is Netflix doing it, and searching Google didn’t turn up anything aside from what I already know to be true, Netflix is pay one price depending on the tier you purchase. That doesn’t satisfy her; her FireStick is on Netflix, so she insists that Netflix has movies that you have to pay extra for.
Netflix does not have "premium content" that requires additional $$$ to watch. All is available via your subscription.

Dec 28, 2020
Netflix does not have "premium content" that requires additional $$$ to watch. All is available via your subscription.
Thank you, but I know that. My question is does using the an Amazon FireStick allow other streaming services such as Amazon’s own Prime to post their own movies on your Netflix channel? For instance, last week she said “Walk The Line” came up on her Netflix, but when she chose it, it steered her to other streaming channels and she would have to pay for it. The week before it was the same thing with “Breakthrough”. I went to Netflix search and neither movie is available. She insists that she is on Netflix and these pay for choices are there. Does the Amazon FireStick hijack other channels and steer their viewers to Amazon Prime? Even if they did do that, I would think that they would have to be in a different format than the regular movies from Netflix.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you, but I know that. My question is does using the an Amazon FireStick allow other streaming services such as Amazon’s own Prime to post their own movies on your Netflix channel? For instance, last week she said “Walk The Line” came up on her Netflix, but when she chose it, it steered her to other streaming channels and she would have to pay for it. The week before it was the same thing with “Breakthrough”. I went to Netflix search and neither movie is available. She insists that she is on Netflix and these pay for choices are there. Does the Amazon FireStick hijack other channels and steer their viewers to Amazon Prime? Even if they did do that, I would think that they would have to be in a different format than the regular movies from Netflix.
If that is happening, it has nothing to do with Netflix. Sounds like how some services (Apple TV and even Amazon Prime, for example) will allow you to link accounts to use their interface to access services on other platforms.

Dec 28, 2020
If that is happening, it has nothing to do with Netflix. Sounds like how some services (Apple TV and even Amazon Prime, for example) will allow you to link accounts to use their interface to access services on other platforms.
I have only used Apple TV. I have multiple streaming services with separate icons. But if I am on Netflix, as she claims she is with FireStick, I only can view Netflix choices. I have never had a movie that redirected me to pay someplace else, as she claims!
I know that on Prime, and I think Hulu used to, you can pay extra for movies not included and buy other channels through them. I have CBS and I thought because I paid CBS through Apple, I could link my account in Prime, but they just wanted me to pay for it through them too! I couldn’t link my existing account.
Thanks for hearing me, and trying to help. Maybe the author or someone who uses FireStick can explain how this supposedly happens to her?

lost_n_austin

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
I think an argument needs to be made for the Nvidia Shield 2019 as good value. Nothing else has machine learning AI upscaling, a feature that makes all other "Enhancement" and "Sharpening" settings obsolete. It works superbly well on most 1080p and 720p sources I've tried, and is hit or miss on lower-res such as 480p (depending on the lossiness). Of course Shield cost $50 more than a high end Roku, but on non-4K sources the AI quickly becomes an indispensable accessory.

Uniblab

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Roku, more than others, started the streaming box tech effect. Since they got in sooner its no suprise that they have a knack on how to get the best out of the tech. What "is" suprising is to find out that Roku isnt considered as one of the best. Im kinda slow to the streaming wars but have always felt that the interface is the most important feature and roku's is the nicest. I have only interfaced with Android, Firestick and Samsung so my survey isnt complete. But going by folks comments, if you can get it cheaply, its the best streaming device - thus firestick which is supported by amazon is going to get the most votes. Its "not" a bad stick at all, pretty good, just that, like audiophiles and music equipment better versions exist that many folks dont get a chance to see. Hope roku gets its due respect, originators should always get their props

Uniblab

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I think an argument needs to be made for the Nvidia Shield 2019 as good value. Nothing else has machine learning AI upscaling, a feature that makes all other "Enhancement" and "Sharpening" settings obsolete. It works superbly well on most 1080p and 720p sources I've tried, and is hit or miss on lower-res such as 480p (depending on the lossiness). Of course Shield cost $50 more than a high end Roku, but on non-4K sources the AI quickly becomes an indispensable accessory.
.....and is also at the top of a multifaceted streaming solution. Does more than just stream video. Plays games - including cloud based - and since its nvidia, clarity will be unchallenged. Worth the extra buy in for top tier performance.

Dec 28, 2020
I too am a Roku Fan and have more Rokus than TVs. Sadly recently Roku pulled the Spectrum app from the Roku store. Current users are advised not to uninstall the app, otherwise you can not download it again. Current users can use it. This means any new Roku owners who got a Roku from Santa, are going to be a little upset, when they try to install the Spectrum app on their new shiny new Roku.

Feb 17, 2021
I have had Roku since it came out in 2014 when I canceled my DirectTV. I have several streaming sticks and the Ultra. I recently upgraded to a 4k smart TV and my rural internet access (DSL, no cable in my small town) wasn't strong enough to run the 4k apps. I bought an Ultra Roku hoping it would run the apps in 4k and it did! I couldn't be happier. It is smarter than my smart TV! I've given many Roku sticks as gifts. The Roku stick is great for travel and I've used it in hotels, airbnb and in friends' homes. Once you stop watching TV with commercials, it's hard to stomach them and my traveling Roku stick lets me watch my ad-free TV. I have paid channels for that purpose (Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, Peacock, Apple+, Showtime, etc.) and the monthly cost for all is 1/3 what I paid for satellite that didn't work when it snowed. Roku is the best with more options than Fire stick.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020
Once you stop watching TV with commercials, it's hard to stomach them and my traveling Roku stick lets me watch my ad-free TV. I have paid channels for that purpose (Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, Peacock, Apple+, Showtime, etc.) and the monthly cost for all is 1/3 what I paid for satellite that didn't work when it snowed. Roku is the best with more options than Fire stick.

LOL. I am just the opposite. I have been an expat living outside the USA since 2007. After a while, I started to miss the US commercials. In 2015 when I got my Roku box, I purposefully got the cheaper version of Hulu, so that I would get the commercials. Aside from the normal commercials, I also get new movie and TV previews/advertisements, that I wouldn't even know about if not for Hulu.