Why the iPhone 5S Will Kill Your Point-and-Shoot Camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
large pixels and more pixels means larger image size. I don't see how Iphone that has fixed storage without sd/micro sd expansion card is going to kill point and shot camera.

Unless you assume everyone bought 64G model and have no app, music and so on installed on the phone. Or bought expensive apple icloud and use up all your data by stream taken picture to the cloud.

Drew Wood

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
this article is completely devoid of objectivity. The new iPhone sensor size is 15% larger than the previous 1/3.2", which still makes is smaller than 1/2.3", the next usual larger size. there is no real optical stabilization. there is no contest compared to the usefulness of point and shoots or the real smartphone winner of cameras: nokia 808 or 1020.

hell, even a $120 canon elph 520 has a larger sensor than the iphone 5s w/ full optical image stabilization.

i appreciate having a camera in my phone as i always have it with me, but please, stop fawning over a mediocre camera simply because it has an apple logo on it.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Bullshit. No smartphone camera can be compared to a device which is made only to make photos and videos.
I experienced it myself last month when i was on Eminem's concert in Paris.
I brought with me my old a.ss sony 10 megapixel compact camera, cause i wasn't sure about my smartphone (Galaxy S3) battery duration.
Well, i can only say, that after, at home, i compared the photos and the videos from the 2 devices. The photos in daylight from the Galaxy S3 were ok, i can say good too, almost the same compared to the compact camera, but in low light.....no comparison. Zoomed photos was also a lot crappier than the Sony camera. I was also amazed how the videos from that old camera were a lot better, especially in low light and the audio was at least 200% better.
So Apple/Samsung/Nokia ecc. can talk crap all they want.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
This advertisement, I mean article, seems to lack understanding of Apple's position in the smartphone market in regards to leadership in Camera technology.

The list of companies that have a smartphone with a camera that outperforms the iPhone 5's camera, is basically the list of companies that even produce a high end smartphone. Pretty much everyone had something better, and with the iPhone 5S, Apple's made some much needed improvements to get back in line with competition... but still greatly trails several competitors.

Specifics aren't necessary. Pick a company. LG, Sony, HTC... NOKIA. Pick one. And we can discuss how far behind Apple was, and whether the iPhone 5S will be enough to catch up a little bit. In some cases, not nearly enough was done, and in others, it'll fair OK... but they were definitely not ahead of the curve, and still won't be.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
"...making the inclination to lug a point-and-shoot camera ever smaller..."

I'm not sure how many pounds your point-and-shoot camera weighs, but the last one I owned easily fit in my pocket and weighed only a few ounces, plus it also had a 16x optical zoom.

I usually have a DSLR with me anyway so no camera features on a phone are a strong selling point to me. If they made an iPhone with NO CAMERA AT ALL I would be interested since I often go to locations for work that do not allow any recording devices of any kind in the buildings at all. Therefore cell phone has to stay in the car.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wish we had an edit feature, but here is a cool experiement that you can try. if you can get a hold of some broken point and shoot cameras. (I usually get them from the fleamarket (great way to get electronics that you can salvage parts from.

take a small point and shoot camera lens and get a larger point and shoot lens, then using some paper under them point the lens at the sun. both will give a similarly sized spot, but the larger lens will start a fire while the small one will just get very hot. (also why they tell you to never point your camera at the sun.)

A larger lens physically captures more light and focuses it on a smaller area, the end result is better low light performance from a larger lens. Light is largely physical and is limited. The hard way of getting a better exposure is making a more sensitive sensor which can take what little light there is and provide a higher gain without adding too much extra noise.

A lower tech but more expensive way to do it is to use more glass. have a larger lens gather more light and focus it on the sensor

Here are some images:

Small lens roughly half the size of the larger one:

[ur]http://i.imgur.com/rnN7npz.jpg[/url]

Now here is the larger lens:

http://i.imgur.com/YEEfbFu.jpg

(in this image you see 2 rings, that is caused by the flash light, the lens on the flash light causes 2 rings and the the center ring of light at such a close range to the lens is not enough to fill it so judge the size by the outer ring

both cameras which used the 2 different lenses, had an 8mm sensor the difference is 1 camera had a zoom function and the other did not

The end result is the larger lens focuses more light on the same amount of space.

byte_my_bits

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Apple:
release product with minimal improvement

Tech-geek fan boys:
write articles highlighting minimal improvements making claims Apple could never directly get away with

As the articles author, you are responsible for misrepresenting the facts. Please die.

none12345

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
A good camera is all about good optics. Untill they add good optics, they will never take good photos. One could argue for good enough, sure.....but not good enough is not good.

I hope they at least fixed the pink issue with their last camera. Or maybe they will tell people they are using it wrong yet again.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
They can talk that nonsense to sell Iphones but my $450 Sony DSC TX100 16mp point and shoot from 3 years ago still blows away any camera phone pics I see even from today and my 13mp Optimus G PRO phone and Iphone 5. The 5S camera is still only 8mp and I know mp aren't everything but please, sell that nonsense somewhere else. We are still a ways out from camera phones catching up with the top tier point and shoots and I'm not talking about the $150 models you buy at Walmart.

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
What is this?...This is old news... Point and shoot camera has been eaten up by smartphone...5S has nothing to do with it. Or will have little impact if any on point and shoot camera.

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
NSA APPS is built in to the new IPHONE. NSA now can have complete info of the phone user...User-Info, User Picture, User-Finger Print...NSA is one of the few happy people/organization after yesterday's business update

Status
Not open for further replies.