Why the iPhone 5S Will Kill Your Point-and-Shoot Camera

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Feynman

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
As a phd in computer science and robotics intelligence, I can safely say I am disgusted by your bias. I have researched many sensors for computer vision and computational photography. And I can safely say that it is more than any of you can even ever hope to use as journalists. How the hell can you say that the 5s is better than the Lumia 1020? Have you gone out of your mind or is apple paying a lot of money for this campaign. If the later case is true then I must say that after 6 years of being very loyal to your site I will be leaving and creating the necessary "bad word of mouth" as the phrase goes. Well in any case I'm very disappointed in you guys.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
It won't kill my Point and Shoot: Not until there is a waterproof-shockproof iPhone that is considerably closer in price to my Waterproof Shockproof $99 Panasonic Lumix... I take pictures in active environments. I can't be worried that my 650 dollar phone is gonna get wet or dusty...

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Why the iPhone 5S FAILED MISERABLY at Killing My Point-and-Shoot Camera:

TOP 9 reasons why iCrap 5S (iCrap anything) can't replace a good point and shoot camera

iCrap 5S can't swap out lenses

iCrap 5S can't do telephoto pictures

iCrap 5S can't take a decent photo of an aircraft in motion and lacks much needed zoom technology, JUST LIKE A POLAROID instant.

iCrap 5S can't take a motion sports photo, same reason.

iCrap 5S can't take a panorama photo

iCrap 5S can't take a close up of a clover mite (a tiny red spider looking bug) photo http://bugguide.net/node/view/262410

iCrap 5S has a slow capture speed for high speed photographing (blurs).

iCrap 5S can't take high resolution pictures

iCrap 5S can't take night time pictures of the stars

iCrap 5S lacks the memory required for storing high resolution pictures.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
It is true that there are some third party lenses for the iphone.
The two tone flash and the slo-mo are nice additions.

Wow, using the oldest salesman's trick with the microns are more important than megapixels don't cha know, is really lame.

Nice Apple ad.

takeaclic

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
A little girl discovered a simple security flaw in the new iPhone 5s that is so simple even my grandma could crack it. Not much of a security after you see the pic. You will love it for its simplicity.

http://www.takeaclick.com/2013/09/12/little-girl-discovers-security-flaw-iphone-5s/1228/

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The faces of the 2 people in the "color balanced flash" photo look deformed. Their faces are lopsided in a bizarre way. What happened? Why is the iPhone photo so grotesque?

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
LMAO, I'm an Apple fan and I've gotta call troll bait on this article.

The Lumina has a superior camera, it's a POS otherwise, but as a camera it rules and HTC did the whole "bigger pixels" thing... While I'm glad they have the better flash and are making enhancements this article is all BS...

Time to move from Tom's after so long :(

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
That's it I'm done with Tom's. This is the last article in which I will see industry standards being called killer this or killer that. True Tone Flash? Two years ago Apple would have been slammed for this crap on the fact that ambiance color temperature is detected by light sensor and that temperature of flash is known value, it should be corrected by the image processing software, you know like everyone else does it.

Dumb, stupid, PR articles in which technological backwardness of clients is called "revolutionary", I'm sick of it.

balaji-micro

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
BalaJi MicroTechnologies is registered in India under Indian companies’ act 1955. We are a part of "B.B. GROUP OF COMPANIES".
"We are a machine vision solution provider & recognized as a premier designer and leading supplier of high-performance imaging systems and other imaging components for wide variety of applications. Our company core interest lies in security/surveillance, Industrial/machine vision and medical imaging domain." BalaJi MicroTechnologies has seen tremendous growth over the years and recognize as one of the leading and highly experienced machine vision solution provider in India.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The only point I see in this article is that all this tech is made available in a phone that historically (and unfortunately) sells by the millions, so good cameras will be in everyone's hands. If only the Galaxy S4 had a good camera... /sarcasm

todd_b

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Cool! Can't wait to store those great images on the microSD card........oh.....wait....um......neverrmind.

AjoyBhatia

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
This is the first time that I read that bigger pixels mean better-quality pictures. The whole point of having more and more pixels for the same size photograph is that each pixel is SMALLER, so that the picture can be more sharp. Bigger pixels will yield coarse-grained pictures while smaller pixels are more fine-grained and therefore, sharp. Can someone please explain why bigger pixels are better?

Status
Not open for further replies.