Why wifi speed difference between Lenovo laptops?

n7tek1

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
My wife & I both have Lenovo laptops and her 1 year older I5 Ideapad gets 56 Mbps download speed vs. my 36 Mbps download speed on my Lenovo Flex3 I7 laptop both connected to the same D-Link home router connected to ISP Comcast. Why the difference? I just uploaded the Intel Network Adapter and Bluetooth drivers on both machines to the latest drivers and still the same speed difference. Both are running Norton 360 Security suite and have mostly the same software on them (except my wife plays lots of games). Both laptops were originally running Win 8.1 a month ago but were upgraded to Win 10 (I think her laptop still had the faster download speed prior to the update but I'm not absolutely sure - I rarely used her laptop except to fix stuff). I know this isn't a major problem but I'm trying to understand why the difference. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Solution
It sounds like the WiFi on your laptop may not be as capable as hers. It happens. Make sure all drivers are up to date on yours. That could change things. You can also look into an external wireless card, which may give you better speeds.

Sadly not all are built the same, or work as well as others.

n7tek1

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

n7tek1

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
We are using the wifi that is built into each laptop. I haven't dared open then to look. My guess is they are built into the main board but I have never worked on a Lenovo laptop. I had my Flex3 hooked to an ethernet cable when I first got it and speeds were much faster than 35 Mbps. My Samsung Galaxy Note4 callphone also get about 55 Mbps thru wifi. I will do more testing this weekend.

John

It sounds like the WiFi on your laptop may not be as capable as hers. It happens. Make sure all drivers are up to date on yours. That could change things. You can also look into an external wireless card, which may give you better speeds.

Sadly not all are built the same, or work as well as others.

Solution