Why You Should Wait on Doctor Who Season 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2018
What unmitigated nonsense. While Tenant was undoubtedly the best Doctor so far, his relationship with Martha Jones was dysfunctional and you could tell neither actor was happy with it, and the ridiculous is-she-isn't-she tap dance with Donna Noble was simply frustrating. Matt Smith started the transition to showing us more of the Doctor's dark backstory and weight of it that he carries. Peter Capaldi bobbled his initial season, but recovered heroically and closed out his tenure with stunning *dramatic* acting chops that really demonstrated that the Doctor's jackanapes really are the tears of a clown. And there has never been as compelling a Doctor/Companion relationship as that between Capaldi and Clara Oswald. Period.

The only reason any serious Doctor Who fan would wait to see the 11th season is because they are still catching up on the 10th. The unserious, with their juvenile inability to deal with nuanced emotional performances, are welcome to just stay away.

Oct 11, 2018
You do understand there is a new team with a new showrunner and a new direction though? I mean just wait and judge them on their own merit for good or bad but there is no indication that they will follow Moffat's steps. They have been brave enough to commit on creating exclusively new characters and new stories so at least let them do their thing.

That and "Twice upon a time" was one of the best exit stories since "Caves of Androzani'

Oct 11, 2018
interesting read, I'm from the UK & seen the debut ep twice now &........ I hated it, reallly hated it, odie is just too - too much really, the sidekicks are annoying, the bbc never learns, it screwed up davros, the cybermen - thats the criminal thing most of all.

I know star trek ruined the borg but they never made them look weak,humanised slightly yes but you always knew that they would turn but when would they I mean wooden cyebrmen????WTF, davros showing remorse??WTF.

dr who is dead & buried now, whereas star trek has shown promise for the future, dr who has just become a joke.

Oct 11, 2018
just to add to last comment, I saw jodie in broadchurch was - saw 5 mintues & the maudlin whining gave the warning signs then, the bbc need to understand something that a woman screeching with a northan accent, sopeaking 1000 words per minute just gives you a headache, miss anderson o the xfiles doesn't need to do that & shes a strong female, linda hamilton didn't on T2, scarleet johansson doesn't - it shows a weak charect & story telling.

also the sidekicks & just so usless & deadwood,the term sidekicks is the killer, I'm a bit hit & miss with marvel films etc but they do get the dyanmic better, its a team not 1 lead & sidekicks, the walking dea ddoes it better even though I beilieve andrew linclon leaving will kill of the series.

one thing I will give to dr who this season though is the look is pleasing, its not jarring, the sfx look nautral, organic just a shame its wasted on a turd.

Well every report is entitled to their opinion, personally been following Doctor Who since the last 70's and aside the over acting of Peter Capaldi. in the role, I disagree with the author of this article.

Oct 11, 2018
So I should give up on the show now, before it "goes bad"? Sorry, Bud, I've been watching it since I was a kid. I see no reason to give up on it now.

Oct 13, 2018
We could go back through any era of Doctor Who and find standout stories among many clunkers. This show is as much a labor of love as it is a showcase for science fiction/fantasy storytelling. In the modern era, with one hour stories and the occasional multi-episode arc, we have to evaluate each on its merits. And if you say "Don't watch it yet" you are killing the ratings, which is irresponsible if you are a fan. How about "Watch and see what happens" rather than waiting for other people to tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.