Wi-Fi won't turn on

Redraft

Estimable
Aug 6, 2014
Hi everyone.
I recently bought a new Dell laptop last month.
It's operating on Windows 8.1.
The problem I have with it is that I can't turn on the Wi-Fi, this issue has been here since I bought the laptop. The only way I am able to access the internet is via the cable, but this makes having a laptop really inconvenient as I intend to use it for reporting purposes.
The laptop had Ubuntu installed but I got it replaced with Windows 8.1.
It's model is the Inspiron 3437.
I tried downloading the proper drivers for it, which would be the Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n, BT4.0+HS Driver.
I tried installing it but when I do, it runs and in the middle of installing it, it just exits.
The manual states that the Wi-Fi could be turned on if you press the Fn Key + F2 at the same time, but this does nothing as I don't have a driver yet, but what can I do? I can't seem to install the proper driver for this laptop.
Please help me find a solution for this problem.

Solution
Your laptop might have an actual physical switch on. Check to see if it does, usually somewhere above the keyboard. Also, go into the Control Panel and search Device Manager if the previous did not work. Open Device Manager and look under Network Adapters to make sure Windows properly detects your wireless driver. Very likely the issue is that since Windows did not come ON your computer, the necessary drivers for your computer's parts are not installed on it. A driver is simply software that allows a computer to utilize all of its hardware. You will have to download the drivers for your wireless adapter onto a USB drive from another computer and install them manually onto yours. If you do not want to do this yourself, perhaps you could...

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
Your laptop might have an actual physical switch on. Check to see if it does, usually somewhere above the keyboard. Also, go into the Control Panel and search Device Manager if the previous did not work. Open Device Manager and look under Network Adapters to make sure Windows properly detects your wireless driver. Very likely the issue is that since Windows did not come ON your computer, the necessary drivers for your computer's parts are not installed on it. A driver is simply software that allows a computer to utilize all of its hardware. You will have to download the drivers for your wireless adapter onto a USB drive from another computer and install them manually onto yours. If you do not want to do this yourself, perhaps you could take it up to the shop and they'll do it in about 5 minutes or ask someone else, friend, family.

Check out this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

You should also check if your processor's driver is installed, too, because if it is not your computer may not be able to use its full capability. Linux is a lot better at this stuff and recognizing hardware than Windows. You should check your computer manual to see what processor and wireless driver your computer has, and then download the drivers from the manufacturer's website on another machine. Then, install them from the USB to your computer.

Edit: so so sorry did not read that you already tried installing drivers, my eyes passed that up. I apologize.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS