Wife Needs Laptop for Dental School

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilc0

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
My wife is starting dental school next fall and we're beginning to look at laptops. Apple products are out because they're too expensive.
This is what they'll be using it for (taken straight from the website):
Personal Computers are an essential part of your dental education and the dental industry is increasingly dependent on powerful 2D and 3D imaging software that runs best on higher specification PCs. To that end, the school requires all students to have laptops or tablet PCs.
1. What is your budget? ~$1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13-15''

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p is adequate

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? no

5. How much battery life do you need? More than 5

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) 2D/3D modeling and imaging. The software they're using is Axium software (http://www.axiumdental.com/).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 256gb minimum (ssd preferred)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. n/a

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4 years minimum

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None necessary, but dvd might be nice.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Not Apple (too expensive).

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Additional Info:
She wants something light and thin (think ultrabook), so no massive gaming rigs please. I would prefer the price to be ~1500, but obviously the cheaper the better.

I've done my own research and have thought about these two laptops:
Questions:

■ How is Dell reliability vs. Lenovo? I know lenovo is pretty well known for tough computers, but I like the look of the dell more.
    ■ The software they're using is Axium software (http://www.axiumdental.com/). I looked it up, but couldn't find much in terms of what it needs to run. I feel like dedicated graphics is overkill. Are discrete graphics needed for 3D software?
    ■ Any other laptops I'm missing that I should consider?

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I can't see them using something too intensive for dental school but I have no experience in the field. I mean I run blender on my Dell XPS 400 from 2005. It has a LGA 775 Pentium D processor in it, according to the folk on here that is like a bicycle vs a car as an effective means of transportation for commuting when compared to new age CPU's. Im sure you can find something for under $800 even.

Dulith1118

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
it clearly says that it needs to run 2d 3d image softwares and all so thats why i suggested that... if i can know what they mostly do with the laptops i can suggest somehing..
and yeah the dell one is better

Status
Not open for further replies.