Wife's Laptop (w/ Laptop FAQ)

BretWD

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Love this site. Been building Desktop PCs for a long time now and this place has been invaluable for advice and insight. However, for the first time, I am looking to get a laptop (for my wife), something that I have very little experience in, so looking to get direct advice out here for the first time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is your budget? She doesn't want to go too far beyond $1000 USD, so I am hoping to shoot for that range. If something is suitable at a lower price point, great, otherwise it's more about getting what satisfies her needs.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Obviously, bigger screen the better, as she'll want to use this for work as well as for fun.

3. What screen resolution do you want? HD (1080) would be preferred with the capability of being at least 1920x1080 (for decent graphics onto the monitor).

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? This will be replacing the Macbook Pro she is using as she wants to move back to a MS Windows based machine.

5. How much battery life do you need? Not too much. As long as she can keep it going for a couple of hours during a lunch meeting at Starbucks or similar establishment.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I'd say the ability to play the two Blizzard game WoW & Diablo 3 would be a good starting point. We also do some virtual tabletop RPG play through Fantasy Grounds, but that's not graphic intensive.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) She'll need to be able to keep open things like email, browsers, spreadsheets, word processor, etc., but nothing requiring heavy graphics or design.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? She'll need to be able to load those games plus keep a good amount of documents, etc. Generally speaking, though, I don't expect her to need a ton.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I've always used NewEgg.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 2 years where we'd then like to give it to our daughter to use as she starts her college years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I do not believe she needs anything specific here.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No real preference yet.

13. What country do you live in? United States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. She'll want to be able to hook this up to her 25" desktop monitor (I assume that's not a problem) for gaming and the virtual RPG play (also so she can multitask during RPG play when the guys spend too much time talking :p), as well as hook up a good gaming mouse (she has a Logitech G9 currently). She'll also want to be able to just pack it up and take it on the road for business trips and at least find it useful for some gaming in down time, not to mention as a business machine.

Again, any suggestions will be quite welcome!
Thanks in advance...

I would have a look at the lenovo t range as they are generally good at making business laptops. The games you have mentioned will be playable on those laptops at low settings but I assume gaming is not her priority.

Also lenovo has a good port selection and has a good keyboard.

Finally they are very robust and reliable and have good battery life.

BretWD

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Primarily, it will be for work, yes, but I think she'd still like to play at least D3 and possibly WoW on it with some ability to feel like she's getting decent results. I don't think either is particularly cutting edge graphically, though, so I don't expect her to need anything spectacular.

Oh, on the subject... she was curious if there's any way to take a laptop and spread it across two monitors instead of just one? And what's required if she'd like to hook it up and use the HD TV we have (55") as a video output device? Probably not for gaming, but when it comes to online Virtual Tabletop, sitting on the couch and playing would be her preferred mode. :p

Thanks again!

Then the t series should be perfect for you then as it can play wow, don't know what D3 is though. As for the port, you will need a hdmi cable which connects to the laptop to the tv.

As for spreading the screen accross 2 screens I am not sure as I don't have a monitor but I assume it you will choose the extend option after the monitors are connected to the laptop in the windows settings option. That should allow you to spread the screen but I am not an expert on this.

BretWD

Estimable
May 9, 2015
D3 = Diablo 3. It probably needs a little more graphics than World of Warcraft, but Blizzard typically doesn't put as much stress on that side of gaming as some others.

I'll check into the T series.

As for two monitors, the laptop she has now only allows for one graphic connection, so wasn't sure if that is to be expected with all laptops. I'll look into the hdmi options for getting output to the Tv.

Thanks once again!