Wifi stuck in “Obtaining IP address”, but connects in another area

sean_bowker

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
When I am at my desk at work the Wifi does not connect to my phone and I get stuck looping in "obtaining IP address". However if I step away from my desk to another part of the building, my phone connects no problem. I noticed that if I download a large file somewhere else and get back to my desk, my phone stays connected (although at a lower signal which is fine) until the download is finished, and then switches back to "obtaining IP address". This being a work environment I don't have access to any of the routers. Is there anyway I can force my phone to connect to the router in the other part of the building? thanks.

Some other notes. I am using a Oneplus 5. I have tried changing to a static IP, the same IP that works when my phone actually connects somewhere else in the building, but the phones says "connected, no internet".

Solution
Sounds like there are 'dark' spots in the building where their WiFi cannot really reach well. The only fix would have to come from them. They would have to change where the service can reach.