Wikipedia to Go Dark Tomorrow in Opposition of SOPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
why don't tom's join the anti-SOPA movement?
few intelligent people will know the real answer, if you know what I'm talking about.

G

Shutting down facebook and twiiter is the most effective way of getting the message across. So many people I know have never heard of SOPA and don't care about it. If the issue was brought to facebook and twitter a LOT more people will start caring.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]axiler[/nom]http://sopastrike.com/ Google is joining in to, along with Mozilla.[/citation]

Aw shit if Google goes down what will the Earth do??

"google it you noob"

"but google is down"

:shitstorm::

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I would love to see people react to more than just SOPA and PIPA. There is a ton of terrible things coming down the pipe right now, and already passed into law in the last 10 years.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Aw shit if Google goes down what will the Earth do??"google it you noob""but google is down":[/citation]

Oh man, then we'd have to use Bing. Cruel and unusual punishment!

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I wouldn't even know if FB or Twitter would go down... So sure sounds like a good idea, it would certainly alert a whole lot more people.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
"However, Costolo made sure to clarify that just because Twitter isn't going dark tomorrow, it doesn't mean the company supports SOPA."

OK. It only sounds like you support it. Come on man carry the torch. At least dont call it a silly idea. Thats ok, I never liked twitter anyway.

sixsevensix

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I really think the blackout protests are going to send the strongest message, if google, facebook, and twitter were to blackout or even just redirect to an anti-SOPA page for the 12-24 hours congress would back off quite a bit faster. Just because they are in a position of authority doesn't mean they can push through what they want, they are treading on thin ice and a large amount of people are waiting underneath for when it breaks.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"That's just silly. Closing a global business in reaction to single-issue national politics is foolish."

Should SOPA or anything like it pass Costolo, the first time someone posts "illegal content" on a twitter, your site will be closed for a lot longer than 24 hours and not by your choice. Your "global business" will be over.

Don't think for a second the government wouldn't love to make a forum for public discussion disappear. Twitter will be one of the first to go. They don't want you to discuss what you think, they want you to watch the news networks and be told what to think. Take an active role in fighting back or don't claim you're against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.