Will any surround sound receiver work with and surround sound speakers?

marcus32123

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
I am looking to buy a surround sound receiver and surround sound speakers separately. Do I need to look for something specific, or will any surround sound receiver work with any surround sound speakers and sub?

Solution
In short, yes basically any surround set will work. Just watch the ohm load. Most home receivers are only stable from 6ohm to 8ohm. If you go with 6-ohm speakers they will pull a little more power from the receiver and be a little louder.
You need to know output wattage and ohms on speakers to the reciever.

For the sub that completley depends on if it is active (self powered) or passive (powered via reciever and only conneciton is speaker terminal).

For someone that dont knows what they are looking for you should just get a home-theater-in-a-box type of kit.

If you want better sound quality and the ability to upgrade with time going separate receiver and speakers makes more sense. Go to a good shop and do some listening. Don't know your price range but you can get an Onkyo receiver and some decent quality speakers without spending more than a HTiB.

ien2222

Distinguished
Wattage really doesn't matter any as far as matching speakers to an AVR/amp. Wattage only matters with how loud you are planning on using your equipment.

Impedance does though, if you get speakers that are rated 4 ohms or lower you'll want to make sure the AVR/amp can handle it.

The O.P. was looking at inexpensive stufff on craigslist and ebay for equipment (this might have been in one of his 3-4 threads about the same topic), thus I am going to assume that he is more concerned about cost over quality. Otherwise I would have just said to go get a Yamaha RX-V(5 6 OR 7 serries) reciever and some Energy Take Classic speakers and would have a pretty decent setup.

r0llinlacs

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
In short, yes basically any surround set will work. Just watch the ohm load. Most home receivers are only stable from 6ohm to 8ohm. If you go with 6-ohm speakers they will pull a little more power from the receiver and be a little louder.

Solution