Will Apple iTunes 10 Bring 10 Companies Down?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]masterm40[/nom]I must disagree with the zune going out of business! 10/10 possibility? I know it hasnt picked up much but have you ever even personally tested it? The zune is made for true music fans who dont care for many apps, and the apps that are on there are enough to keep me happy. The zune software is a joy to navigate and enjoy a sea of artists along with pictures and bio. Its small slim and heavy duty. If windows sticks with the zune basics then windows phone 7 will be amazing and place it back in competition, not saying it will dominate just add to options. Lets not forget that windows is synchronizing xbox, zune services, windows 7 pc, and the wp7 all in one shot, you really think apple has anything on that? I dont hate apple but all they got is the old buy every wack song for overprice cost model, and a too late to the game social networking for artists. itouch is cool and will sell but I dont see this as a game changer for apple, what the hell is apple tv? why the hell do I want to give up my netflix for that crap? shame on you for slamming zune! lol[/citation]

I must agree. People who truly love music know that there are better alternatives out there than the iPod. Especially when the alternatives allow for syncing with any software and not just propriatary software.

Plus if I remember correctly, the Aune HD is capable of HD video on it and can asl hook up to a TV via a dock that goes HDMI to play your HD video on a large screen.

I really think that Apple gets way too much credit for what they crate. iTunes has always been horrible software and if it wasn't for their great marketing of the iPod, would never have taken off. Add to that that it installs a nice program called Bonjour (very few people know of this) that leave open ports on your computer as it looks for other Apple products, thus leaving you open to many vicious attacks, it makes me wonder how people could support such software.

Maybe I am just crazy.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
The answer to this question is "Seriously? No."
All of the companies mentioned are available on most desktop and mobile platforms. I just don't see Ping changing that. People who aren't buying Apple will likely treat Ping as a non-event.

G

iTunes has been and continues to be malware but it is coupled to an excellent business model (mainly pricing). The markets are not technologically rational, but reasonable prices, hype, slick packaging, and yes "keeping it dumb" are big advantages. Hate to repeat the well known but one should never forget it either: Apple's products are designed to work equally well (but not well at all) in the full range: moron -- genius. This is a killer advantage.

weaselspleen

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
"You make a good point, but I'm not going to change the headline over semantics."
So you won't change a headline just because the words it uses do not correctly convey the intended meaning?
Gosh, what WILL you change one for, if "mere" semantics is irrelevant?

Maybe you have a phobia about words ending in e?

Words have meanings. Making up your own different meanings is just, well, stupid. That's it. And no, I'm not changing the word "stupid" to mean "really awesome and cool." It still means stupid.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I must agree. People who truly love music know that there are better alternatives out there than the iPod. Especially when the alternatives allow for syncing with any software and not just propriatary software.Plus if I remember correctly, the Aune HD is capable of HD video on it and can asl hook up to a TV via a dock that goes HDMI to play your HD video on a large screen.I really think that Apple gets way too much credit for what they crate. iTunes has always been horrible software and if it wasn't for their great marketing of the iPod, would never have taken off. Add to that that it installs a nice program called Bonjour (very few people know of this) that leave open ports on your computer as it looks for other Apple products, thus leaving you open to many vicious attacks, it makes me wonder how people could support such software.Maybe I am just crazy.[/citation]

Just remove it like I did. Msconfig or CCcleaner anyone?

But iTunes does suck, but you are stuck with it.

As far as ping is concerned, the only ping that I am interested in is

cmd
ping -t

fricklas

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
of course, as long as iTunes runs like crap on Windows - and that's still true of iTunes 10 - there's no danger of it displacing anything. My iTunes on Windows 7 still locks up randomly, takes forever to load, doesn't show any progress indicators when loading something (other than downloads), has no way to sync with a device after a crash without losing all your data, randomly loses all your app folders with iPhoneOS 4.0, etc. etc.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I thought this was going to be something interesting. Turns out I was wrong. The title states 10 Companies, and then you start talking about individual products that a company makes. If Apple TV beats out Google TV I highly doubt Google is going to fail in the search market. Then you compare iTunes to Amazon which I would like to remind you is a shopping site that offers much much more than music. So in general this is an utterly useless article.[/citation]
Took the words right out of my mouth!

G

Audio and video podcasts are part of the old apple TV are they not part of the new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.