Will "bad" USB Type-C cables really set fire to your home, pets, and semi-loved ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henchmen4Hire

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I started digging into articles about USB Type-C because I recently got a phone that uses it (Sony Xperia XZ1), along with having quick charge capabilities, and a concern kept being brought up about "bad" cables causing explosions, damaging your computer, etc.

From what I understand, because of the amps/voltages Type-C allows, there can be damage done if the device (smartphone) tries to suck too much power from a power source (PC) that doesn't support that kind of power suck. Is this true?

Shouldn't the device have a way of gauging the source and limiting how much power it can suck, to prevent damage?

I saw that there are cables that have built in things that do exactly this, do these actually prevent disasters or are those just buzzwords/gimmicks/marketing?

To point to a specific situation, I want to plug in a Sony Xperia XZ1 phone to my PC. I got one of these cables to do it. http://www.cablebuilders.com/258501-usb30typeamaletotypecmale3ampratinglength1meter-1.aspx

Their customer service rep told me the cables are built to industry standard usb specifications. It's only a cable and doesn't have any chips or dip built in. Is this safe to use for transferring data at least? Should I avoid charging the phone with it while plugged into the PC?

Last edited:

benz.media

Great
Sep 25, 2018
If you are really concerned about this problem, you should probably buy brand specific cables for your phone. It shouldn't break the cable, unless it is a bad cable, and if it is, this is not phone specific.

ronpar

Estimable
Aug 17, 2016
I think the ones You heard of came out of China! And yes it could happen! China makes cheap knock offs! clones! you need to buy product made in the USA by respectable makers/sellers! Never trust anything that comes from China electronic wise! Besides if Your home burns down, and You and family is lucky enough to get out, who are You going to make pay for the damages? Someone in China? Good luck on that! Buy from the US, you are protected by law! Regards!

Henchmen4Hire

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
For anyone wondering, the cable worked for connecting to the PC or a power supply, and charges and transfers data just fine. The phone itself recognizes quick charge power supplies and will charge quickly when possible.

I think the ones You heard of came out of China! And yes it could happen! China makes cheap knock offs! clones! you need to buy product made in the USA by respectable makers/sellers! Never trust anything that comes from China electronic wise! Besides if Your home burns down, and You and family is lucky enough to get out, who are You going to make pay for the damages? Someone in China? Good luck on that! Buy from the US, you are protected by law! Regards!

What USB cable makers build things in the US? 90% of all electronics are from China, no way to get around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.