Solved! Will I lose my files if I uninstall my usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2020
Just for a little summary, my USB isn't working, it just says Device descriptor not working. I looked online for answers and one of the most common is uninstalling the USB from device manager. I have loads of files on my USB, so I really don't want to lose them. Thanks for any responses!

Solution
Update: I was able to copy the files from the flash drive to my C drive, but now the USB still isn't recognized.

Toss it out and get another one if the drive you have is out of warranty, it's not odd for them to fail.

Uninstalling the device from Device Manager won't do anything to the files on the memory.
I edited the original post to hopefully provide more clarity

So this is a USB flash drive or an external hard drive? USB is just the type of port and connection not the device, the device connects to some USB port. Keyboards, mice, etc.. all connect to USB.

Test it on another computer see if it can be read there. If it's an external drive, you an try another cable or removing it from the enclosure and trying with another one.

Aside from that, never store your only copies of files on a flash drive or anywhere, you want more than one copy for backups, storage media fails all the time. Doubly so for USB flash drives, those are pretty unreliable and should only be used for temporary storage (copying files between computers) or boot media.

Jul 13, 2020
This is a flash drive and I tested it on a different computer with no luck. On my computer, it's still not working and the only option I've skimmed over is uninstalling the USB flash drive in Device Manager because I'm afraid of losing my files. But thanks for the tip, I'll keep a separate copy.

Jul 6, 2020
Try it on another computer. If this is an external drive, you can try another cable or take it to jail and try again. In addition, the input file will not be stored in Flash or elsewhere, but you will need more than one backup and backup because the memory does not always work. Perhaps the most reliable for USB drives, it can be used for temporary storage (i copy files from a computer) or for boo boo.

Status
Not open for further replies.