Will I notice the difference if I buy better headphones?

kamhagh

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I have Logitech G230 and Sennheiser CX 1.00 (earbuds)
I never had any other headphones! I was thinking of buying Audio Technica 700x (not sure about the model)

The question is: as an avarage person who is not an audiophile. Will I notice a difference?

I also tried an app called simple abx tester (Android) and I couldn't tell the difference between 120kbps and flac! Although 94kbps was slightly different in some songs!

I also tried an slightly higher end headphones for 10 seconds! It was Phillips shp-9000. It was slightly better but really not different. Couldn't tell the difference betwern 120kbps and flac either with the Philips headphones! For someone like me is it worth buying another pair? Or even an dac or amp. I could buy Razer adora with that money! (Wireless)

Otherwise I would just maybe buy a comfortable headphone as the Phillips headphone felt like heaven!

Solution
you can often not tell the difference between low and high quality audio streams on poor headphones but you can easily discern it on higher end models. i can no longer listen to anything low quality as it sounds dreadful.

yes, there is a difference in audio quality between low and high end headphones and you can certainly hear the difference. now, not everyone has ears which can pick up the differences as much so your mileage will of course vary.

the ad700x is a gamer headphone with wide soundstage and not much bass. great for fps games and the like.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I just had this pop up. I have a friend who's an audiophile and for years has cringed at my headphones. Recently my headphones I use for gaming and general computer use died and for my birthday he picked me up a pair of Sennheiser HD598.

Holy crap these things are comfortable.

Even the music coming in from youtube sounds better. And I finally got an understanding of why he listened to nothing but flac files when I plugged in to his setup. I don't think its going to be life changing, or turn me in to an audiophile. But I'd say having a good set of headphones (quality of sound and comfort) has made me a believer in owning a nice set of cans.

I'd say if the Phillips felt heavenly and gave you a better sound experience that even you could notice, they're worth picking up.

kamhagh

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I wish I had that kind of friend :D but they only sounded a tiny bit better. I also found out they coat either 50$ or 250$ ;/ couldn't find a price

But anyway. I sold my pc and won't get one for a while. Can I use my galaxy note 4 to listen to music with it? Will I need an amp or anything other than the headphones themselves?

Edit: ouch.... Those cost 300$ in my country.... :/

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah I was surprised, its fun having friends who get so pissed at your lack of taste in something that they'll buy you a good version of something out of sheer frustration :)

As long as your headphones have the 3.5mm jack, or a 3.5mm adapter they will plug in and work like normal. No amp should be needed. If you're not noticing any real difference in audio, go with whichever ones fit the best and do what you need.

you can often not tell the difference between low and high quality audio streams on poor headphones but you can easily discern it on higher end models. i can no longer listen to anything low quality as it sounds dreadful.

yes, there is a difference in audio quality between low and high end headphones and you can certainly hear the difference. now, not everyone has ears which can pick up the differences as much so your mileage will of course vary.

the ad700x is a gamer headphone with wide soundstage and not much bass. great for fps games and the like.

Solution