Solved! Will you recommend DriverMax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2020
I'm not sure what driver is needed for my pc, but my screen brightness is not working. I think it's a driver that got installed which rolling back isn't helping. Do you think DriverMax can fix this? And is there a free version?

Solution
get on the laptop´s support homepage and install all drivers from there,

I wouldn´t install any driver via drivermax or similar. But if it discovers drivers which are missing or outdated, it can be helpful to get a clue, which driver could be problematic. And then search for the driver yourself on the laptop´s manufacturer´s support homepage.
get on the laptop´s support homepage and install all drivers from there,

I wouldn´t install any driver via drivermax or similar. But if it discovers drivers which are missing or outdated, it can be helpful to get a clue, which driver could be problematic. And then search for the driver yourself on the laptop´s manufacturer´s support homepage.

Solution

RolandJS

Estimable
Mar 10, 2017
"Install the drivers from the official support page..." if a specific support page no longer lists or carries the drivers for an older laptop, then first and foremost make full image backups, onto external media, of the OS. Then and only then would I recommend an outside source for a necessary driver or drivers. For example, I have used Auslogics Driver Something after making backups.
Helpstar and WilliamD both make excellent points! I had to go the 3rd party route only because technical support for my laptop, which was converted from Windows 8 to Windows 7 by a local computer store by my request, did not have Windows 7 drivers for that particular laptop, it was shipped with Windows 8, and therefore the official web site only had Windows 8 & 8.1 drivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.