Windows 10 BCD file missing/corrupt

Jeepster77

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I have an ASUS X550Z I bought for my wife last July (2015). It came with 8.1 and I upgraded to 10 in September hoping some initial bugs were worked out of 10. After about 3 weeks the screen was black - powered on but no screen. I troubleshooted and spoke to ASUS. I sent then it in for a new graphics card under warranty. 3 days after I got it back my daughter was watching a DVD and it "locked" up. I did a restart and when it came back up it said Windows needed repairs for a missing/corrupt BCD file. It started the repair and screen went black. It was on still but nothing on screen. I did some investigating and decided to try to repair/rebuild the BCD/MBR file from cmd prompt. I created a media recovery by downloading the Windows ISO file and copying to a USB using Rufus. I plugged in the USB, powered on and went to the BIOS menu to change the boot sequence, set safe boot to disable, lLgacy and CSM is enabled. Now with the USB in and trying to boot from it, the Win 10 logo comes for about 20 seconds then goes to the same blank screen. The USB flashes like it is working but nothing. I have tried Win 8 ISO, a different USB, installed to a different pc, which worked, UEFI and "normal" mode but still nothing in the ASUS. I can send it in again for a fresh install, but I was not able to backup between when I got it back the first time and when it acted up again and I am really trying to not lose data. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

What I can suggest is to back up your files first. You can take the HDD off the laptop and use it as an external HDD first then backup your files using a different laptop or PC.

Here's a sample of an enclosure.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000H1

Once you manage to backup all your files from your HDD proceed with reinstalling Windows.

Here's how to create a bootable Windows 10 USB or disc:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2745957/create-windows-installation-usb-drive-dvd.html

And here's a complete guide to install Windows 10:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569562/install-windows.html

Hopefully this will help. :)

Jeepster77

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion on the external enclosure to get my backup. The only issue with that is if I pull the HD it will void the warranty. Hopefully I can get it out without leaving evidence. As far as reloading the o/s goes, as I stated above I cannot get the pc to boot from USB. I created the USB using the MS tool and also using the ISO file to create a bootable USB with Rufus. Neither worked. I also burned the ISO file to disc and am getting the same results. The Win 10 logo comes up for about 20 seconds - I can hear the disc spinning - then it goes to a blank screen. Still has power but with a blank screen. I connected to an external monitor too just to make sure there wasn't something on the screen and I couldn't see it. Any other ideas on why it won't boot from the USB or disc? I think I can repair the BCD/MBR if I can get it to boot and get to a cmd prompt. Thanks again

wpgwpg

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Try booting from an install disc or repair disc and doing a repair. That often works, but not always. It's worth a try.
When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $55 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free. That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Jeepster77

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an external HD, I was an idiot and didn't backup between when I got it back from ASUS after the first repair and when all this happened. It was only 3 days then it started having issues again.

I have tried both USB and disc and neither will boot. The ASUS splash screen shows up then goes to the Win 10 logo like it is loading for about 20-25 seconds then it goes to a blank screen (still on, but all black). It will not boot at all. It doesn't try to go to the repair or anything. Just a blank/black screen.

Thanks

Jeepster77

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Both have been set as enabled and disabled. Also had CSM enabled/disabled and any combination of the 3. Still won't boot from USB/DVD.

Thanks for the idea though!

Jeepster77

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Yes, I have changed the order and save and exit bios, tired boot override, there is also an option on the ASUS to hold the ESC key when you power it on to list the boot options. All same results. I have tried in UEFI and "normal" as well and no luck no matter what. I can't access the recovery partition because according to ASUS support that was deleted when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Normally the F9 key would get you there. Totally stuck, not even sure if I could get a clean install at this point.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Not sure why you tried various combinations of these settings.
Ultimately, secure boot needs to be disabled, legacy boot needs to be enabled, and launch CSM enabled if it's there. If those are the current settings and the DVD drive and USB devices are set to boot before the hard drive, and it still won't boot, then perhaps it's the media.

Jeepster77

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I tried the various combos because the settings as you suggest, which I agree with, did not work. The USB and DVD both boot correctly on another laptop, so I'm fairly certain that is not the issue.

Thanks