Windows 10 Security Problems

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks to a fellow nerd, I saw this article today. Windows 10: Here are the privacy issues you should know about

Personally, I have a problem with all of this, and a few other things that have come to light from various sources. One of these is the very open sharing of WiFi networks implemented in Win10. While most of these features that have arose complaints from would-be users, I can't help but wonder what exactly Microsoft is up to. Thoughts?

yeticorn

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
I upgraded last night and purposefully checked the wifi sharing setting. It was off by default for me so I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about. All of the other security concerns seem valid though admittedly I have not yet had the pleasure of reading MS's new service/privacy agreement.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
The reason you don't want to share your WiFi network is pretty obvious.... We have encrypted passwords for a reason, and that's because letting anyone on your network can not only open you up to attacks, but there are types of malware that loves to spread over networks. It's a terrible idea. Personally, unless you're running a custom firewall, I'd never recommend letting any computers other than your own onto your network; and as a stronger precaution, you only turn on computers when they're needed.