Review Windows 11 review: More refinement than revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2021
Alex that was a nice review. I have been on the Windows 11 Beta releases for over a month and I would like to emphasize some missing UI stuff that bothered me and I provided feedback on. However, some of it still is not working well. Desktops look like a great idea but for now they are not very good at remembering what had been open before. Since some apps and pages are not that scaleable the Desktops should be scrollable but they are not so if it don't fit it don't fit! As far as Android apps I did find some mostly in the realm of entertainment but here again finding them again can be a real chore, there is simply no real method to organize them. I for one still find Android emulators the way to go if you want a phone app on your computer, they mostly all run and the performance can be slow but if it is not a game it works well. I cannot speak for games since I am not a game user. I only tried a few but LDPlayer has worked for the apps I want on both my phone and computer. You do need a fairly fast network for this to work well but again there are a limited number of Android apps I want on my PC.

One real plus for me is a significant improvement in performance. Programs load quickly and perform better than on Win 10. I am on a fairly recent laptop with a Ryzen 5 series 4000 processor so I do have a good CPU for laptops. I only have 8 gig of RAM but that has not been an issue and have even run some virtual guest systems like Ubuntu successfully. I am hoping other developers solve the application management issue given the rough tools available via Win 11. I hope to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5000 series processor with at least 16 Gig RAM for the virtualization performance but that is just on my wish list.

Mar 7, 2022
Windows 11 is still so buggy and I do not recommend to anyone. My big mistake was to upgrade Win11. I have to do forced shutdown everyday because of sudden hang. I am facing that from beginning. Right click is horrible and have to click multiple times. There is no never combine option in taskbar. It is time consuming without that option if we work multiple window. Microsoft does not do research about ux/ui. I do not know what is wrong with that option for Microsoft. Feedback hub has more 11K vote to re enable this option. MS does not care but adding many unnecessary options. File explorer is still buggy. MS releases dev version with very basic bug which is horrible.

Jun 4, 2022
This review has got to be either a joke or sponsored by microsoft
How the hell did you get to 4 stars???

"Windows 11 refines what’s good about Windows 10 without changing too much"
How can you even say this?

I haven't found any advantage in using win11 over using win10... just a whole bunch of bugs, weird design choices and missing features

Reactions: LogicZone
Jun 4, 2022
One real plus for me is a significant improvement in performance. Programs load quickly and perform better than on Win 10. I am on a fairly recent laptop with a Ryzen 5 series 4000 processor so I do have a good CPU for laptops. I only have 8 gig of RAM but that has not been an issue and have even run some virtual guest systems like Ubuntu successfully. I am hoping other developers solve the application management issue given the rough tools available via Win 11. I hope to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5000 series processor with at least 16 Gig RAM for the virtualization performance but that is just on my wish list.

All the cons are not worth the theoretical boost in performance for me
(and I definitely haven't noticed anything performing better tbh)

Reactions: LogicZone
Jan 21, 2023
I haven't used Windows for a long time, but I just got a new laptop and figured that for potential warranty and return purposes I had better make a backup prior to wiping everything and installing Linux.

As the kids write, OMG. What I had to go through just to get to where I could do a backup ... a Microsoft account, them asking me for a credit card ... yes there are workarounds and I made use of them as needed. But should I have to? In the end after I don't know how long, the time zone setting was wrong. The setup program never bothered to ask for it. And don't get me started on manufacturer bloatware.

I know there are so many Windows use cases and it's the path of least resistance. I certainly won't say that everyone should install Linux. To each his own. But I won't be able to get Windows 11 off of the new computer fast enough.

The last Windows I actually used was Windows XP (and a little bit with Windows 7 and 8.1). I imagine there have been many improvements (and regressions such as ubiquitous telemetry and non-productive UI changes). But it's just not worth it to me. I'm not going to follow Microsoft wherever they want to go and wherever they want to take me.

Status
Not open for further replies.