Windows 7 on windows 8 laptop

NecroPhonics

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
OK so I tried installing windows 7 on my windows 8 laptop and it wasn't working so in the end I took the hard drive out and manually formatted it and installed windows 7 on my desktop. It worked and booted and whatnot perfectly fine so I put it back in the laptop though when I put it back in the laptop it seems to not recognize the OS and say "No Bootable Device, Hit Any Key" Tried playing around with the bios settings but the new type of bios crap doesn't make it any easier and it still doesn't work..

Solution
you need to google how to install windows from a usb stick, there's an app from MS that prepares the stick properly. Use your desktop to prep this from your win7 dvd.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
well installing windows on desktop hardware and then moving it to your laptop is not going to work well. It might simply be that the installation of windows doesn't have the right drivers to access the disk. But it sounds more like you've got an issue with the boot partition not being on the disk that is in the laptop, but being on a disk attached to your desktop instead. You might find it easier to reformat the disk in your desktop, and then install win 7 on your laptop.

Have you got the win7 installation disks?

NecroPhonics

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014

My laptop doesn't have a CD drive so I've just copied the files over too a USB but whenever I try and boot from the USB it get's past the manufacturers logo screen then the screen just goes black and does nothing...
Which is also the reason I put the laptop hard drive into my desktop in the first place.