windows 7 pro size on disk

eazyh

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
hi,

so i want to get away with building the smallest portable pc i can.

i want to get an ssd for speed and use windows 7 pro.

my question is what is the amount of disk space a windows 7 pro install will use on the ssd, this would allow me to consider what is the smallest size ssd i can get away with using/??? thnx

Solution
OK.
Just remember that when someone says "only the OS"...it is never only the OS. Windows updates, AV, browsers, etc, etc, etc.
And leaving 10-15% free space for TRIM to do its thing.

So...for your use, with a single drive, I'd suggest a 256GB SSD. A 120GB would work, but you may feel a bit constrained for space in a while.

And it seems that currently a 256GB drive is the sweet spot for price/performance.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Um, no.
What is this 30GB reserve partition business?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Get a 120GB or larger SSD. 120, 256, 512...all the same physical size, so that makes no difference in your 'portable PC.

But a 120GB drive will work. However, what are you using it for? A 120 will be quite slim if you are using it for games.

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK.
Just remember that when someone says "only the OS"...it is never only the OS. Windows updates, AV, browsers, etc, etc, etc.
And leaving 10-15% free space for TRIM to do its thing.

So...for your use, with a single drive, I'd suggest a 256GB SSD. A 120GB would work, but you may feel a bit constrained for space in a while.

And it seems that currently a 256GB drive is the sweet spot for price/performance.

Solution