Windows 7 Security Flaw is "By Design"

Status
Not open for further replies.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
You see, it would be very good PR for MS to change this. But they won't even do something for PR sake. Way to fail miserably, Microsoft.

G

the middle ground between being totally irritating dialogs and no dialogs is almost impossible to achieve

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
If a user disables the UAC on purpose, then they do something that would infect their machine. I think Micro actually has this one right. I hated the UAC from Vista, If I disable it then I do something that allows it to blow up. Well that is my fault, but at least I have the freedom in the OS to disable it if I want. I am not a Micro fanboy at all, but I say way to go Micro!!

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Once again Microsucks shows that they do not consider their costumers.
Why pay for software that is a piece of crap, and that you know that their are problems with viruses and spyware. Normal users will have to spend money (more or less 100$) to format and reinstall their Windows.
When they fix some security issues, they have enough people working there to think a step forward (If a virus does that, it will do this.....) I guess they like to pay engineers to do nothing...

anyhow good luck microsucks

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Well, Microsoft changed their response to fit the times. Now things are "by design".

Used to be errors and malfunctions were "undocumented features" lmao

"Yes, support? Why does my coffee cup holder keep going back into the computer?" lmao

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
You know you guys are funny. You all hacked on Micro for UAC in the first place then you hack on them for allowing the user to "REALLY" disable the UAC. I guess when it comes to OSes Micro just can't win.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
sounds like microsoft is being a little defensive. personally i think they should not make a big deal about it and that they should change it so that if the user is going to change / disable uac then they should be prompted. personally one of vista's biggest dislike, other than it being a pig, is those constant popups. i disable uac the first chance i get and i think that windows 7 is a big improvement in this sense over vista, still windows 7 is a pig just like vista

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
For another thing the system is NOT "vulnerable to attack" because UAC is disabled, the only thing UAC does is instigate consumer against computer attacks (ie. beating the computer, punching the monitor, throwing mice, smashing keyboards...etc.) But really, without UAC if you have a simple virus program like AVast anti virus, you are fine, I have not have a problem with UAC disabled on Vista Ultimate.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
LOL: "Mr. Bank President, did you know there's a huge hole in your vault?"

"Yes, we built the vault with that big hole on purpose. That way customers can make withdrawals or deposits without having to stand in line. It's not a problem though, cause nobody can steal any money unless they walk through the front door first..."

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]LOL: "Mr. Bank President, did you know there's a huge hole in your vault?""Yes, we built the vault with that big hole on purpose. That way customers can make withdrawals or deposits without having to stand in line. It's not a problem though, cause nobody can steal any money unless they walk through the front door first..."[/citation]

i dont get your point. bank vaults have a big gaping hole, othewhise how you get in and out of the vault. ;-) the point is you have to have someone that you trust controlling access to the vault and its content, like some nice internet security suite... and even with that you know that people might break in ,nothing is perfect.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]For another thing the system is NOT "vulnerable to attack" because UAC is disabled, the only thing UAC does is instigate consumer against computer attacks (ie. beating the computer, punching the monitor, throwing mice, smashing keyboards...etc.) But really, without UAC if you have a simple virus program like AVast anti virus, you are fine, I have not have a problem with UAC disabled on Vista Ultimate.[/citation]
UAC prevents programs having adminitrative priviliges all the time, so that any damaging tasks would cause a prompt before they can happen. By disabling UAC, programs run with perpetual administrator rights and can do anything unless stopped by other software.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]People cry too much about UAC. As long as you're using your computer properly, the prompts aren't bad.[/citation]

?not bad? yeah, i like my work to be interrupted every keystroke with some popup asking me if it was ok for me to press the key, i thought we all agreed some time ago what an annoyance that was and agreed to use popup blockers.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]LOL: "Mr. Bank President, did you know there's a huge hole in your vault?""Yes, we built the vault with that big hole on purpose. That way customers can make withdrawals or deposits without having to stand in line. It's not a problem though, cause nobody can steal any money unless they walk through the front door first..."[/citation]

Wow. What a perfectly accurate real world representation of what is going on. Completely realistic.

G

Well, everyone likes to hit on MS on everything and everything. It's like a culture now. When something doesn't work, most of the time they will point the finger at the Windows..just like when people can't see their 4GB or more ram, alot of people just assume its Windows bug lol. Especially when you ask them, how's Vista, they will tell you it's buggy, problematic...slow. Then if you ask them , so what bugs and problematic you encounter on your Vista and they will reply....eeerrr so far non, but it is buggy and problematic. @_@
I am not a MS fan or what, i have used linux and other OS as well and i can tell you...they are far from perfect.
I guess people just like to follow what the majority, and always pick on what is common and widely used/wellknown and underground things are cooler.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
...in order for this vulnerability to be exploited, a user's computer would have to contain malicious code already, which means other security software has failed to prevent this or the user has explicitly allowed it.
Microsoft already sacrified security over convenience; case in point, as mentioned, users are Administrators by default. Then there is how, from the start, they let third party software developers on very long leash, or no leash at all, on developing software for Windows. Software needing to install/run a service for no apparent reason? True, if third party developers want to be as invasive as they want, there is little to stop them. But since users are accustomed to such low standards, they won't complain, won't look harder for alternative software.

I don't mind if MS breaks compatibility with older software on new Windows, as long the standard has significantly improved. Ofcourse, it's better if Windows execute such software in a sandbox. Sandbox. Speaking of which, not only does Vista doesn't have a sandbox feature, it made the system incompatible with a lot of sandbox software (ie, sandboxie).

Microsoft, listen: just because a user has allowed a software to run, doesn't have to mean that he/she is on his/her own. Provide a powerfull sandbox feature or let others develop powerfull sandbox solutions (the kind that even allows installation of drivers in the sandbox. scr3w DRM drivers).

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
The old "It's a feature, not a bug!"...
Actually "windblows security" is a oxymoron.

"If you can't make it good, at least make it look good." by m$'s Billyboy

Status
Not open for further replies.