Windows 7 / Windows XP Audio

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I just installed windows 7 64 bit. It was great that i could get the audio as soon as the W7 installation completed.

But the problem is I am not able to set up 5.1 Audio In windows 7. It was very easy to do it in Windows xp.

The rear speakers just dont seem to come up.
I can get audio from Rear speakers in some games and during the test in Realtek Azalia Drivers interface.

But there is no sound from rear speakers when I play movies or music.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
music is not recorded or encoded, to play back in surround sound, your movies, may not have the right settings.

check your control panel and they may be a settings, which enables you to upmix, stereo into surround.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well.. There is no sound output from the rear speakers during music/movie playback...

When I run the test from the control panel. The test runs successful and I hear the audio from each speakers.

In Windows XP I dont have to do any settings and after I install the Audio drivers. I get the output from all speakers.

meman887

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Best bet is to download the latest drivers first and see if that sorts your issue out and if it doesn't work, the next thing that I can suggest is to try there 3D SoundBack Beta 0.1

The application may not run under Windows 7, but it's better than nothing.

Realtek

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

Unless you are listening to DTS/DVD-A discs or AC3 encoded material there is absolutely no reason for you to get sound from the rears.

In Windows XP you were probably getting default "speaker fill" with your sound drivers.

Windows 7 does not have it on by default which is a good thing if you want to preserve sound quality, which is probably something the Microsoft engineers thought was a good idea. If you need a speaker fill option for stereo material, you will need to look at the option in your drivers.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008

Almost all music is 2.1 by default. Unless you upmix to 5.1 (via Dolby Pro Logic), thats all that will play back.

As for movies, most get 5.1 via Dolby Digital/DTS audio, which are encoded (compressed) formats that can not be played back unless decoded (uncompressed) first. As very few chipsets support decoding (due to DRM restrictions), its up to the playback software to decode the audio signal.