Windows 8 Can Be Stored and Run on a Flash Drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I didn't know about it. Not everyone finds every single piece of info that's out there before coming here.[/citation]
Try looking elsewhere? All you have to do is go to another popular tech news site to get it before Toms. Personally I don't care, it's good to get a different perspective sometimes on "news"

G

I've been running Windows 8 as my main OS since the first public release and it is THAT not much different from Windows 7.
In my opinion the things that are different are better. The best thing is how snappy it makes my PC feel in EVERY aspect.
The worst thing about Windows 8 is the shut down procedure. I am definitely not computer illiterate either.
Metro is NOT forced on you. You guys act like you HAVE to do EVERYTHING in metro. You use the desktop just like Windows 7 and metro itself actually makes the "start" button a lot more friendly.
I almost feel like there's quite a few of you complaining about Windows 8 and you probably didn't even use it for more than 30 minutes.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You can actually run the entire Windows 7 OS from a USB device. I mean the WHOLE operating system, not just some gimpy pre-installation environment. Google is NOT your friend in this matter however since nearly all searches lead you to guides on how to install Windows 7 FROM a USB drive rather than ONTO a USB drive. It's actually quite simple.

1. Install Windows 7 normally onto a regular hard drive.
2. Create a primary active partition on your USB drive large enough to hold the entire installation.
3. Mirror the Windows 7 installation onto the USB partition.
4. Run PWBoot on that USB partition: http://reboot.pro/6851/
5. Boot Windows 7 from USB!!!

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista. I'll wait for Windows 9.[/citation]
I wouldn't worry about Win 8 flopping unless Tom's writes an article: "Why we will all use Win 8 a year from now" or similar...

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
This will be nice for BYOD (Bring your own device) environments that are emerging in the corporate sector, assuming that it has certain key functions (full disk encryption, domain access, etc.)

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista. I'll wait for Windows 9.[/citation]
Your wrong its gonna be the next Windows ME

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
How about licensing? so Windows 8 will be tied to the storage device, or it would be cloud authentication, so the OS is useless without internet.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]Your wrong its gonna be the next Windows ME[/citation]

Both Vista and ME had a wide host of severe problems such as instability and driver problems. Vista's horrible performance overhead for the time also hurt pretty badly. The only serious problem that Windows 8 has when you use it is Metro and even then, that's only a problem for people too illiterate to install a start menu program and too stubborn to not use Metro as the start menu's replacement.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]So the copied Ubuntu, I'm suppose to be impressed?[/citation]

No, they didn't copy Ubuntu... Ubuntu is not even the first OS to have this, so how could they be copying Ubuntu and not another OS that Ubuntu copied?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Drop your USB stick one meter onto a hard surface.Now do the same with a HDD.[/citation]
What are you doing walking about with a bare HDD anyway? I mean really talk about not being responsible.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]So the copied Ubuntu, I'm suppose to be impressed?[/citation]
Yea this has been around WAY before Ubuntu, you could do this many years ago with many Linux distributions, LiveCDs could probably be considered a predecessor.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]That needs what, a 64GB USB drive?[/citation]

An 8GB drive could probably do it quite well... A 16GB or 32GB, both available for under $25-30 at newegg, can probably do it very well and hold plenty of data at the same time. A 64GB drive would be overkill unless you needed to store several dozen GB of data on the drive. Most people probably don't need to do something like that for a mobile PE-like sort of thing.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]An 8GB drive could probably do it quite well... A 16GB or 32GB, both available for under $25-30 at newegg, can probably do it very well and hold plenty of data at the same time. A 64GB drive would be overkill unless you needed to store several dozen GB of data on the drive. Most people probably don't need to do something like that for a mobile PE-like sort of thing.[/citation]

Well, I just installed a 30GB SSD I had sitting around and after installing Win 7 Home Premium I had just under 2 Gigs left. Seeing that you never want to completely fill the drive, plus the usual cache from surfing and a few basic applications like Firefox, etc and 30GB is clearly not enough. Next step up would be 64GB as I've never seen anything inbetween 32 and 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.